Looking for free & fast photo viewr

Discussion in 'Software' started by rowman, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

hi folks,

What I am looking for is a simple image viewer with the ability to show exif data (customizable) and histogram on full screen view. Preferably with little text and a transparent diagram to not occupy the screen. It does not need to be able to do any editing images as GIMP is waiting out for that job.

So far, I have looked through some softwares such as FastStone and Picasa.
    The problem with Picasa is that it is memory eater, the histogram and exif data is not customizable and it does not provide these features in its image viewer. and also it has problems with my screen.(1024 * 600)

Fast stone is better but it is not ideal, because the information is on a separate window which is not transparent and for each picture you should choose to show the the histogram and exif data and you can not choose which exif data to show.

edit: Xnview is also a wonderful cross platform piece of software in terms of showing custom exif data on the specified location on the screen, but lacks histogram.

Any idea?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

3. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks Kelly,

I had tried a lot of software but could not find something good in all purposes.

Wega2 is a very good software for showing Exif and histogram in full screen mode, nevertheless it is not perfect as it is not user friendly and smart enought for example to rotate the pictures if needed(by reading rotation in Exif), and to remember all the setting. But overall it is good.

Also except the histogram feature I use Xnview which is light, cross platform and fully customizable.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Ok. I use Wega2 mainly for it's photo compare tool. The EXIF reporting is nice, but I rarely need to see that info across multiple photos. Thanks for the tip on Xnview, will take a look at that.

Kelly

5. imotorhead9

imotorhead9 New Member

I'm using XnView. It's free and easy to use.

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

A more recent freebie that I use from time to time is Zoner -

Zoner Photo Studio Free ? freeware photo viewer, resizer, manager

It loads quite a bit faster than most. Will take plugins for the various RAW formats. And the folder view will display the basic EXIF info in columns. That is pretty unusual. However its image compare ability is not as fancy as the Compare page for FastStone. And its quick fix editing is not as slick as Windows Live Photo Gallery. Still, nice to have so many choices!

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.