Lost Focus Twice

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Myron, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I was using my Panasonic Lumxc DMC-ZS3 that I have been using for 2 years, when suddenly the camera stopped focusing after using for 2 hours. I checked all settings and nothing changed and I tried turning the selector dial to various positions and the focus still did not return. The battery was fully-charged. I finally had to use my back-up camera, Lumix Model DMC-TZ3, and the focus was gone in this camera, too. The small box that appears in both viewfinders was gone so the camera could not focus as well. I finally stopped shooting and left. Many photos had to be deleted except for those taken of nearby objects. My day of shooting was ruined. Returning home, both cameras were normal. What could have happened? I never lost focusing ability before. Is the Memory Card defective? If so, why does it work in other areas?:confused: My photo shoot was in midtown Manhattan. Could power lines or nearby towers have played havoc with both cameras?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The ZS3 has 5 auto focus options - Face Detection, AF Tracking, 11-Area, 1-Area High Speed and 1 Area Spot. When the camera is set to intelligent auto it defaults to 11 area. When the camera's autofocus obtains focus you should see one or more green boxes appear on the LCD. If the camera cannot obtain focus you should see a red box on the screen. You shouldn't see no boxes at all. The TZ3 should have similar controls.

You're saying that both cameras didn't activate their auto focus systems when you were in NY but worked fine when you arrived home. Were the settings the same in both NY and at home? If the answer is yes, there must have been something in NY that is responsible for the problem, however I have no idea what it could possibly be.

3. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Thanks. At home, the autofocus seems to work. I am going to a picnic in the park today and will try again. I do believe that something was interfering with the autofocus. I was standing just 1 block away from the Empire State Bldg which has lots of electronics up in the spire. Could that be the culprit. Years ago, when taking videos from the old World Trade Center, I actually got TV transmissions on my tapes but only when aiming the camera north!

4. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Re-tried the Lumix DMC-ZS3 yesterday at the park. Again auto focus worked well then suddenly everything was a blur but this time a message appeared telling me to shut-off camera and re-start. After doing so, the autofocus worked well for about 5 minutes then the message re-appeared. So the camera is to blame. I now recall that the camera dropped out of its case recently and hit the pavement; maybe it got damaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.