1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Low level format

Discussion in 'Canon' started by kmf72, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmf72

kmf72 New Member

Forgot to ask in my last post, what is a low level format and should I be selecting it? I bought an SD512 MB memory card so I could take better quality pictures and fit more and I'm not sure which choice I am supposed to pick for formatting it. The card is not from Canon, it's PNY technologies - don't know if this matters or not. Thanks! This forum has been very helpful to me!

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

You don't typically need to select a low level format unless the card has been formatted some other way and you're having problems with it.

3. kanehi

kanehi Well-Known Member

The purpose is to prime the card for camera use. It will set up the layout in which to write data to. Previous datas will be throughly erased.

Regular formatting just erases files. For the best performance always format the card in-camera. Formatting is not card dependent, since SD cards has to adhere to standards you can use any brand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.