1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Low light/indoor settings

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by everybodylies, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

The d-slr is a new camera for me. and I was wondering if I could get some basic ideas of what settings I could use for indoor picture setting without having to go with the "manual" setting yet. Up til now I've had it on "auto", just to be safe. I have looked through the manual although it has been a lot to take in. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks much.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

What are you taking pictures of? If you aren't ready for manual yet, program, aperture priority , or shutter priority modes would be good next steps.

3. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

Honestly, it that terminology that I do not understand/know that meaning of. I suppose thats were I'm running into my difficulties, even after reading the manual, Im still not getting it. I guess I need it broken down into easier terms as to what aperture priority & shutter priority modes are meant for.

Thanks for your patience.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

5. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

Now that was interesting and understandable. Im going to try that out this week. Thanks!!

6. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

IMHO, there is no reason that a camera with an Aperture Priority mode should ever be used in fully automatic mode.

A. Priority mode is your best friend. You can control the aperture and it does the rest.

7. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

Does "A" mode also work with moving subjects? My toddling grand daughter, dogs out for a run etc?

8. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

Absolutely... Set the aperture to the lowest value possible in your camera. If it's the kit, that's 3.5-5.6 or 4.5-5.6 depending on the lens you're using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.