Lumix or PowerShot?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by ceyoon, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceyoon

ceyoon New Member

Hi there!
    I'm a new mother of an active baby, and have discovered that my old digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 885) is just not up to the task. I bought it years ago for work, to document things and locations, and have been very happy with it until now. I need a camera that has a faster starter up time, shorter recharge between shots, and image stabilizing. (image quality is a given. also, i generally prefer natural lighting and don't like to use the flash, so i am hoping the image stabilizer will allow me to turn off the flash indoors and still get sharp photos.) I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 and the Cannon PowerShot SD700. I cannot decide between the two. They both seem to have what I am looking for, but why does one cost way more than the other?? How do they compare?? Are there other cameras i should be considering?? Please advise!

thanks!

p.s. i am also toying with the PowerShot S80, though the husband likes something smaller and less complicated.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

My pick between the Canon SD700 IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01 would be the Canon (unless you really want the wide angle abilities of the Panasonic). I think the Canon is more expensive mainly because it's a Canon.

Many reviewers still consider the Panasonic sensors to be too "noisy" when you get above ISO 200. Many casual photographers may not be as concerned by it.

The Canon has great image quality and the image stabilization is great. Both cameras operate fairly quickly, so that's good news for catching those fleeting "kid moments".

Oh, and by the way, congrats on the new child!

3. Josh Dollins

Josh Dollins News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The s80 is awesome though expensive (500 I believe) I'd go with the sd700 or s80.

4. ceyoon

ceyoon New Member

Thanks for your input! i think i'll take your advice and go with the cannon. Maybe i can even find a Fourth of July sale. Thanks again!

5. shiningblueangel

shiningblueangel Member

I just purchased the canon sd700 and absolutely love it! I leave for hawaii in a couple of days and can't wait to get some great shots. Its def worth the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.