Lumix TZ70 / ZS50 issue with OIS in Video ??? TZ60 / ZS40 owners may be able to assist ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ribbony, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribbony

ribbony New Member

I have been researching the new TZ70 that is about to hit the marketplace. In one review they found the OIS caused some juddering / shddering of the images when the camera was panned. They mentioned the OIS could not be turned off. I do as much video as stills, so having clear video clips without juddering is important, especially if it is caused by the camera rather than the user. I suspect the OIS is too sensitive and is overcompensating when panning.

I rang Panasonic and they said the technical guys could not assist yet, as they have not ereceived the manuals yet to refer to.

Perhaps TZ60 owners (previous model - very similar) can shed some light on the subject.

Can you disable the OIS in all video modes ?

This new camera ticks all the boxes except the OIS control, though a bigger sensor would be nice :)

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't know if you can disable the OIS in video but I don't see that you'd want to. Keep in mind that when shooting at long zoom (anything over about 10x zoom) you're going to need image stabilization. Here's a portion of a review of the TZ60 from a well-respected camera review website:

I was also curious to see how effective the stabilisation was for video, so in the handheld sequence above, I zoomed through the focal range before panning around the scene at the maximum focal length. I found the TZ60 / ZS40 did a remarkably good job at ironing out any wobbles at the maximum zoom for handheld video so long as you kept the camera moving a little bit. Once I paused, the wobbles appeared a little, but they weren't too bad. Of course your mileage may vary, but again so long as I kept some motion in the clip, the TZ60 / ZS40 allowed me to film smooth video handheld even at 720mm. Bottom line, the stabilisation makes the TZ60 / ZS40's big zoom range usable for both stills and video.

3. ribbony

ribbony New Member

Thanks for the response.

I had a 20x Zoom on a previous camera and found that in most of my shooting at max zoom, I hold on the subject then may zoom out, but I do not pan on the big zoom subjects. So I found that turning the OIS off was the best way to eliminate juddering images due to OIS over reaction. As I am a very heavy on the editing, I only use short takes of any scene, so I can usually get my 2 -3 seconds of usable footage out of a 15 to 20 second take, the less wobbily bit :)

In the sample images the reviewers took, the clips were pretty awfull, so turning off the OIS in video mode is important for me. It is a deal breaker, if the option is not there then I will probably opt for the Canon XS710 HS as it is a lot cheaper with similar features & OIS off options. In fact Canon reccoment turning the OIS off if using a tripod, so if I was going to shoot video with a tripod then I would also want that option.

4. ribbony

ribbony New Member

Someone must have a TZ60 / ZS40 that can shed some light on the OIS/Video options ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.