May need new camera-Definintely need help

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by VinRoc, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinRoc

VinRoc Member

That is some GREAT information David. Thanks a million! The live view is the selling point there. I assumed all of them had it. If the Olympus is the only one of the four with it, I will probably seek one out at a store soon to get a feel for it and will let you know how it goes. Again, I can't thank you enough for your help. You (and this site) have been a life saver.

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Thanks for the correction and the kudos rp2s. Glad to have you around!

dr

3. VinRoc

VinRoc Member

David, Sorry to keep dragging this thread out.... I promise I'll stop soon (or should I start a different thread somewhere else?). I was able to check out the Olympus at Best Buy and the first impression was good although I can see there'll be a lot to learn. The salesman there tried to talk me out of making the leap to DSLR and tried showing me the G9 but I told him my mind was about made up (after all, that's still a P&S). Have you heard anything (good or bad) about BroadwayPhoto.com? They have the camera and 2 lens kit for $501 which seems like too good a price. Thanks for your patience with me!!

4. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

VinRoc

I would steer clear of BroadwayPhoto. Try using; bizrate.com or resellerratings.com to check into various sellers online. My suggestion would be to look into; butterflyphoto, buydig, beachcamera, bhphotovideo, mwave, or newegg as they all have very high seller ratings. A price too good to be true is usually just that. Check their ratings.

5. David Rasnake

Agreed. I don't know anything in particular about the place you list, but there are loads of horror stories out there about less than scrupulous online camera shops. And as rp2s said, any deal that sounds too good to be true usually is.

dr

6. VinRoc

VinRoc Member

Well after much deliberation, I found that the live view on the Olympus slows down the shot in order for something inside to "flip", take the shot, then "flip" back. Since I take alot of action shots I feel like I'd be missing some shots when I'm trying to capture a particular instant. So after hearing the praises from this site and the camera shop over Nikon's sharp optics, I bought the Nikon D40. In the few times this week that I've used it, I've been very impressed with it's abilities. I took some shots at an indoor glow-in-the-dark mini golf place (obviously dark inside) and at an indoor roller skating rink (not much brighter) and after playing with some settings, I got some great pics in both instances. These were the shots I've been craving for so long. Thanks again to all for your advice and guidance (and patience). I'm thrilled with this camera!:D

7. David Rasnake

VinRoc,
    That's great to hear. As several people have said, it's really hard to go wrong with the latest DSLRs that are out there: they're all very strong cameras, and I love the D40's compactness especially. Just out of curiosity, did you end up getting a pair of lenses?

dr

8. VinRoc

VinRoc Member

No, I only got the 18-55mm lens. I figured I would try out this lens and then see what my needs will be and put the extra money I would've spent towards a new lens. I'm not sure yet how much telephoto I'll need or if I need a faster lens. I'll probably be checking back in when I figure out which way I'll be going for some advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.