Mega-pixels vs. Articulated (but small) LCD?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by retexan599, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retexan599

retexan599 Member

Hello. I am choosing between several (my first) digital camera choices. My top choice is the Canon Power Shot S3IS. My alternatives are:

1. Canon PwrSht S3IS: 6 mp, 12X zoom, articulated 2.0” LCD, OIS, 4AA, very good handhold, $350
    2. Sony DSC H5/B: 7 mp, 12X zoom, fixed LCD, 3.0” LCD, OIS, 2AA, good handhold, $450
    3. Panny DMC TZ1: 5 mp, 10X zoom, fixed LCD, 2.5” LCD, OIS, RC batt, handhold ok, $300
    4. Canon PwrSht A630: 8 mp, 4x zoom, articulated 2.5” LCD, no OIS, 4AA, good handhold, $250
    5. Olymp SP-510 UZ: 7 mp, 10X zoon, fixed 2.5” LCD, no OIS, 4AA, best handhold, $300

My criteria for choosing were mainly the following:
    • how easy is it to hold in my hands (avoiding the very small ones, I have arthritis in my hands)
    • optical image stabilization (the experts say OIS is important and my hands are a little shaky)
    • swivel (articulated) LCD screen (I like this feature)
    The Canon S3IS was the only one that has both the swivel LCD and OIS. While it 'only' has the 6 megapixels whereas 7 MP seems to be the norm, but that would be a trade-off. The Sony DSC H5/B is a close second because of the 7 MP and OIS, larger but no swivel LCD; also was more expensive. Somehow I like the idea of having 4 batteries for power in the S3IS.

Does it make sense for me to trade-off mega pixels for a feature like the articulated LCD? Any other suggestions?

Would appreciate any comments and thanks.

John in Houston, TX

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

In my opinion, it absolutely makes sense to give up a megapixel for an articulated LCD. Canon's 6 megapixel camera will produce better quality images than many of it's higher-megapixel competitors. The flexibility of the articulated screen is very significant.

The megapixel count really only matters when you consider print sizes. If you never print anything larger than a 4x6, even a 5 megapixel camera is more than enough. A 6MP camera will print to 8x10 prints (and probably larger) just fine.

3. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

The flexible LCD is a great feature. Before I got my camera I didn't know how valuable it would be. I use it very often.

Also, being able to swap in AA batteries whenever needed is a useful feature, and has saved me a few times.

4. retexan599

retexan599 Member

Thanks for comments and help. I am now an owner of the Canon Power Shot S3IS and enjoying it very much. It takes great photos.

5. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

Make sure to post the ones you are most proud of, in the photo gallery of this site!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.