Memory card failure

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by PabloV, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PabloV

PabloV Member

Hello friends, I bought a Nikon Coolpix P500 and not buy a memory card SanDisk Extreme SD HC I, 8 GB Class 10 of 30 MB / s, which recommended the store where I made the purchase, B & H Photovideo, take 10 photos and I began to get the message "can not use this card. " Do not let me do any function on the camera with the card attached.
    If I take the card the camera works fine. What is the problem?
    Can you help?
    Thank you very much
    PabloV

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Try formatting the card in the camera (read the user manual if you don't know how to do it). First transfer your photos to your computer as formatting will erase your photos from the card.

3. PabloV

PabloV Member

Andy, Thanks for your response.
    Try to do this but the camera by putting the card is blocked and does not accept any command.
    That the camera will not recognize this type of card, although initially take 10 photos of no importance.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

A Nikon P500 should be compatible with all SDHC cards. There's probably a defect in the memory card. See if you can get SanDisk to replace it.

5. PabloV

PabloV Member

Thanks,
    It is hard to change because I'm from Chile, South America and New York Buy at B & H photovideo

6. dtibbetts

dtibbetts New Member

I too am having this problem. Infact reading other sites, this seems to happening a lot with the P500. I just reformatted the card in the camara. That did not work. I am now going to have to get a new card. I use Samsung so the card should be compatable with the camara. If a new card does not work then there is something wrong with the camara. With others having this prob, I might venture to say is there a camara bug????

7. Jim Keenan

Jim Keenan News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Memory cards can be funny things sometimes - I went several years shooting and then one day a brand new card failed about 25 shots into the day. Went several more years with no problems and then had troubles with a couple cards at the Winter Olympics. Then just a few months ago a brand new card failed right out of the box. These things are solid-state devices and they either work or they don't.

First thing is to make sure you're using an approved card to improve your chances that the camera will get along with it. My recent failure was a card that was not approved, but the exact same card I'd used for some time with no problem.

Nikon doesn't have a firmware update out on the P500 and their USA website has 4 gripes from customers with a similar problem, so the camera may or may not be part of the equation. I think you probably got a bad card and reputable vendors should replace it without any problem. B&H is reputable; I use them along with Adorama and our local Calumet Photo store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.