Memory card readers

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by Mike22, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

I find transferring photos very slow using the supplied cable and software.

I have been told memory card readers exist and do the transfers much faster.

What should i look for when buying one? :cool:

2. FZ20

FZ20 Active Member

any brand at all. they all do the same thing and this is one case where brand does not matter.

I bought my 8-in-1 card reader for $12 and it covers all the major memory card types.

You are right about it being faster - around 1 minute per hundred photos :)

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

The main speed difference will be if you can transfer images using USB 2.0 instead of USB 1.1. Your computer has to be USB 2.0 compatible and most readers sold now can use USB 2.0

4. SeaMonkey

SeaMonkey Member

Yes, and I believe you can buy cards that are USB 2.0 compliant if your PC isn't.

You can notice the speed difference too. I used to use USB1.1 then got a new computer with version 2 - its about double the speed literally.

5. pootie

pootie New Member

Does anybody know any good online shops to buy memory cards from?

6. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

pootie, I typically buy stuff like that from Amazon, unless I find a good deal going on. They usually have a wide variety and prices are good. I've also had pretty good luck with rebates from Buy.com. We sometimes list memory card deals on our Digital Camera Deals page, so keep an eye on that.

7. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agreed. Amazon is most likely where you can find the best deals. I got a 1 GB SD card for $13...$18 shipped.

JC

8. pootie

pootie New Member

Thanks for the help,

I guess Amazon are pretty good for lots of things.

I also found this store seems to have quite a lot of cheap memory cards and stuff, anybody bought from here?

http://l8shop.net/products/Memory.asp

9. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

I get memory cards from Buy.com and Newegg.com both have great prices. (Newegg.com seems easier to buy from and ships quicker).

Be careful about claims of 35 in 1 card reader and the likes. My brother got a 21 in 1 card reader without looking at the specs - figured it must have everything. Turns out that most of the 21 were doubles of each other. For example, memory stick and memort stick pro and memory stick magic gate and so on. But it lacked support for XD cards.

Also, some card readers only read cards up to 1 or 2 gigs. So if you plan on using large cards make sure to find this out in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.