Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by krbusby, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krbusby

krbusby New Member

I've noticed a large difference in the price of SD Cards. Is this because the more expensive cards contribute to a better picture/video. Some of the cards say they're "faster", is this meaning transfer rate?

I use a Jazz HDV 178 and it's a 5megapixel camera... should I be purchasing the expensive SD Cards?

Quite frankly, I tried a very cheap card today, SanDisk 2gig, Class 2( whatever that means). I saw no difference in the pics and videos on the highest setting as compared to a Panasonic 4gig, SDHC, Class 4.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The difference in price for memory cards is caused by several factors. One is whether the card is a name brand (like SanDisk) or a generic. Another is whether the card is a low capacity SD card (1 or 2GB) or an SDHC card (4GB or higher). There's also the factor of the speed of the card. SDHC cards are classified by speed - Class 2 is faster than a generic card. Faster cards are Class 4, Class 6 and Class 10 (the fastest cards).

3. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I prefer to stick to the better brands. Beyond that it really depends on what you are doing. I like the Sandisk Ultra Fast cards in my D200 - but thats because there are times when I shoot 5 10MP pictures a second. In my PS Canon I don't care (again, just a good brand) about the card - if it holds enough pictures for a while I am ok because the camera is pretty slow to begin with. In the little video camera I have my basic SD card has always been fine.

4. Jackvinsly

Jackvinsly Member

I think USB memory card is best for that,well its important to which types of camera you Can using so different types of card available in market like mini SD,micro SD,SDHC,MULTIMEDIA CARD mmc,

5. peterjohn

peterjohn Banned

Thanks andy for such a nice information. Now I am quite clear with SD Cards.

6. alexparker

alexparker New Member

oh, this post is useful, i also learn more abt SD

7. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Member

Don't waste money on the super expensive cards. They don't affect video/image quality at all.

A 5mp camera would do fine with the cheapest cards from better known brands. I usually stick with Kingston since they are cheaper than SanDisk but work just as well.

Avoid the super cheap brands. I've lost a day of pictures to a generic card in the past.

8. camera3d

camera3d Member

There are now new wireless SDHC cards, those are great since they download your pictures to the computer every time you are close to it..
    So once you come back from a photo tour and your camera is fully loaded, just place the camera beside the PC and everything will be done automatic.
    Some of them can even do it from any wireless hot spot and send the files even if you are in a cafe'. Cool.

9. ionamartin123

ionamartin123 New Member

The memory card is to be differ.In branded company the price is very high,The quality is good.The performance is well.

10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

The best brand of memory cards in my opinion are Samsung, after having other brands fall apart, i am willing to pay that little bit extra for quality and durability, and Samsung flash memory cards are virtually nuclear bomb proof.

John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.