Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by sungfra, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sungfra

sungfra Member

Is it just me or other members also find the memory card format confusing (sorry but I am a low tech old fart with high tech taste). I mean, since good old VHS beat Beta, cassette beat 8 track, and CD beat album ages ago (yes, I am old). You would think the same thing would happen to the memory card format also, right? No, it gets worst in my opinion. First you have the CF, XD, SD, and MS. CF was more popular at the beginning til SD kinda took over afterward (let's leave Sony and its MS out for now). We then have MMC, DV RS MMC, Mini SD, TF ... which creates even more confusion to the average consumer like myself. Sony is even worst. It not only creates a proprietary format that won't accept other format, but also changes its mind afterward by introducing more proprietary format that do not work nicely with each other (e.g. DC DSC60 will accept MS but fine mode can only done in MS Pro, Cell phone K750i / PSP will not take regular MS Pro but MS Duo only). Can we introduce a simple format that we all agree on and just move on. Give us regular consumer a break, will ya?
    NB: In case you wonder, I still have my album collections. The beautiful "imperfect" sound and effort to play an album is still priceless to me.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

The Sony Memory Stick is not proprietary, it just feels that way in the US. There are hundreds of licensees though and there's an association distinct from Sony that governs the MS.

A lot of the issue is that companies create new formats so they can charge a premium for the manufacturing of those cards and ultimately the price in retail. I agree though, that a handful of formats would be best for the consumer.

3. Mike22

Mike22 Well-Known Member

Well I thought the Memory Stick was proprietary.. you learn something new everyday :)

I know what you mean about confusion.
    I only buy devices with SD cards now. I wont buy anything else because it means I have to buy new cards.

I already have 3GB worth of SD so I dont want to have to buy another type of card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.