Migrating to Mirrorless: Death of the DSLR Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Laura Hicks, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura Hicks

Laura Hicks DigitalCameraReview Editor

If you would have told me three years ago that I would be writing an article explaining why a migration to mirrorless is not only inevitable but good, I would have told you that it's clearly headed in that direction but that it would take at least five or more years to be a reality for professional photographers. But one of the greatest things I have learned over the last couple of years it that you can't judge a book by its cover, or in this case, you can't judge a camera by its body.

Read the full content of this Article: Migrating to Mirrorless: Death of the DSLR

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You make a lot of good points. Without doubt the image quality of mirrorless cameras approaches that of DSLR's and they are much more convenient to use. However, I have a few issues with mirrorless cameras. One is that many mirrorless camera don't have a prominent grip so it's hard to keep the camera steady. Another is that when a large lens is attached the camera becomes out of balance. A third issue I have is that many mirrorless cameras require you to access the menu in order to make adjustments that could be made via buttons and dials on a DSLR. Fortunately the camera manufacturers are addressing these issues and this makes mirrorless cameras more attractive to me.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The best thing about mirrorless is a much smaller camera bag and lighter tripod. The worst thing is, you better have micro-tuned fingertips!

butterfingers

4. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

What about video? I'll take a mirrorless over DSLR any day. While DSLRs have come a long way with maintaining autofocus for video, mirrorless still has it beat.

5. RSL

RSL New Member

Thanks for the article. It was informative and timely since I am debating a dslr body upgrade (possibly a 70d ) or moving to an Olympus mirrorless. However all the photos and most of your comments were around static images. What about sports / action shooting? I take lots of action shots and also like photographing air shows. How would a mirrorless camera compare all things being equal? Your thoughts appreciated.

6. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Well-Known Member

I think one of the more important things holding back mirrorless for pros is the lack of dynamic range in the viewfinder. What you see is more accurately what you get, but the important thing is that sometimes you end up not seeing in an OLED (or whatever) viewfinder what you might be able to see in a DSLR. IMO it can hold back the framing of more dramatic / more creative pictures unless you happen to see it in post-proc, though obviously it's usually not an issue for the portraiture types of photography.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Interesting point. Also viewfinder comfort is usually better with a DSLR. Simply because the DSLR viewfinder is bigger physically. Efforts to keep mirrorless cameras petite clamps down on the viewfinder size. This is especially noticeable if you wear eyeglasses.

blinky

8. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Well-Known Member

It's not a universal issue, and certainly you can get aftermarket hoods for some. I don't think this is a particularly notable problem IMO.

9. DR25

DR25 New Member

The Sony A7 is an amazing camera (price excluded). I have a wide range of Canon bodies and lenses and often find myself taking this camera out first. It's not going to replace my Canons but it is a great walk around camera. The proof is in the results....

You searched for sony a7 - DR Photos

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.