Minolta autofocus lenses with Sony Alpha camera

Discussion in 'Sony' started by BEN721364, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BEN721364

BEN721364 New Member

I have some good Minolta and Minolta compatible Autofocus lenses. I heard that I can use them with Sony Alpha series cameras. Is this true? If so, which current Sony (and other) digital cameras will accept these lenses? Are there downsides?

Thank you.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sony DSLR's are compatible with Minolta autofocus lenses that have an A type bayonet mount.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Sony designers did not diverge into multiple AF designs, such as you may find at Canon and Nikon. Keep in mind that the affordable Sony DSLR models all have APS-C size sensors. With a crop factor of 1.5X. So the old 50mm lens from your 35mm film camera, after fitting it to a Sony A330 (example), will have the same field of view (aka scene coverage) as a 75mm lens on the old 35mm camera. Same lens actually, it's the field size that appears to change. In catalog listings for DSLR lenses it's the actual focal length that is given. As a result it's up to you to apply that 1.5 crop factor to determine the apparent size of the lens. For point-and-shoot camera lenses, most often it is the 35mm equivalent size that is given, saving you the effort of applying a crop factor.

Kelly Cook

4. BEN721364

BEN721364 New Member

Thanks guys. I'm not a photographer but as I understand your posts, I can use my Minolta lenses on Sony cameras if they fit; and that I will have to compensate for the different field of view. Correct?

I appreciate the help.
    Ben

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Yup. But that "compensation" for the field of view of the lens will be built into the DSLR. Just keep it in mind when reviewing the lenses you already have.

Kelly

6. BEN721364

BEN721364 New Member

I'm not sure that I fully understand the 'field of view' issue. Nevertheless, I think I will buy a Sony camera body and try to learn.

Thanks for the help.
    Ben

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.