1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Multimedia Camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by usapatriot, Aug 19, 2014.

1. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I'm taking a multimedia production class in the fall semester and need a camera that can take both solid pictures and videos. An external mic input would be great. My budget is <$700, but I can stretch a little bit for a better system. Right now I'm almost sold on the Nikon D3300 as it offers good 1080p/60 video with an external mic input and great picture quality.

I'm curious about mirrorless, but iffy about the lack of an EVF. I'm looking for any recommendations that I may have overlooked. Thanks for any and all help, I've been out of the loop for a few years now. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

There's also the Canon Rebel T5i which has excellent image quality, very good video and an input for an external stereo mic. The T5i's video AF is somewhat slow to track moving objects but that's the case with the D3300 as well. The Canon has a fully articulated touchscreen LCD unlike the Nikon's non-articulated non-touchscreen LCD. The Nikon D3300 is about $150 less expensive than the T5i.