My comments are deleted ?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by Wail, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying in your last post, but I'll explain what's happening. A picture gets uploaded, say to three categories: the member's gallery, Outdoor, and Places. Comments can be left in each of those three places and those comments are kept separate from each other. I'm not sure why the people that wrote the software thought that was a great idea, but I'm sure there were reasons.

As for your comment that was posted but you didn't see it right away, it's possible that after the comment posted, the browser redirected to that same image in another category (and a different list of comments).

I'm just kind of scratching my head as to why the software works like this. Oh well...

2. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

OK, let me make another attempt to clarify that last post of mine ...

When I saw this picture, ...

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/128

.... I posted a comment and a rating to it, which I know was uploaded and posted.

Days later, when I was going through the pictures, I came across this one again, but didn't see my comment (it was removed), but I ruled out the possiblity that it was removed as thought that I may have not clicked the right bottons to post my comment.

Whenever I was going through the pictures, and every time I came across this particular one, I always thought it was odd that I didn't post what I wanted to, especially since there is a VERY personal feeling that I got with this picture ... but still, I just reuled out the possiblity that I had posted my comments.

Now, weeks later, I see my comments again!

So, in a nutshell, my comments were posted, then they dissapeared and now they re-appeared.

I don't know if this helps, but what I am trying to get through is that there seems to be something with the database and this isn't a recent issue. My first thoughts were that you've had a server crash and had to revert to an older backup!

Hope this is clear now.

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

4. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

There is some issue/bug whereby an uploaded picture, when associated with multiple 'forums' (ie, Outdoor, People, etc) it is copied over and not re-sourced. That means that photos with multiple forum associations have multiple comment and rating sets.

5. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Ben,

Again, thank you for getting into this so quick, I appreciate this BIG time.

Gautam,

I sure am glad someone else "see" this issue, I was beging to get paranoid and thinking that I got Ben upset over "nothing".

6. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

Ben, if that's really the case that the same photo in two locations is considered two photos - you should try to get that changed. That can be pretty annoying!

7. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Unfortunately, so far it looks like something that I don't have much control over.

8. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Ben,

I keep saying thank you, and I mean it. Your efforts to try to resolve this is very much appreciated. I only hope that it is resolveable.

9. slumbermann

slumbermann Member

btw ben... could you please tell me what kind of plugin do you use for this one, so that i can look at it, and if i find any solution for that, then i can share with you here... cause i'm vbulletin user too on my web... so why not i help you find the real problem underneath it...

cause kinda funny when a software made such way... at least it should have some setting to divide the pictures to different category or otherwise...

10. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

The photo gallery is Photopost. I've actually searched on their forums and there appears to be no easy solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.