My New Web Site . . .

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by andrewq, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewq

andrewq Member

I just launched my first web site a couple of weeks ago and I'm interested to have other photographers go and check it out. The web address is www.spiritstandsstill.squarespace.com

I'd love to hear what you think of the appearance as well as the user experience. I am hoping that this site will be the start of taking my work to the next level. Any and all feedback is appreciated! Feel free to sign my guestbook too!

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. neenee

neenee Well-Known Member

Hm. I find the URL difficult to read, I imagine giving the URL to others would require spelling it out in some cases, because of, for instance, the stands + still, the double-s.

As for the looks, the low-contrast site goes very well with the colourful photos, it really makes them stand out. The texture on the sides doesn't make the site too busy for the eyes, while adding a welcome change from plain darkness.

Something to consider is alphabetising the links to the galleries, because if someone knows which galleries are available, one of the first logical orders they will assume is used and can be used to find that gallery, is alphabetical. However, seeing as how you do not have 20+ galleries, the list not being sorted alphabetically, does not hinder at present. So it's more of a personal preference in my case.

I noticed that when viewing one image with the thumbnails for the rest of that particular gallery at the top, there's a white vertical bar, which can be clicked to navigate through the thumbnails. It's a nice way of navigating, but the white bar is very high contrast when comparing it to the rest of the dark site. Perhaps the white bar could be replaced by a light-grey arrow, befitting the general scheme more, while being clear about what it can be used for.

Also, though I fear this can not be changed, the squarespace.com logo is very bright, a lot of white and some light-green, which contrasts greatly with your site. Is there a different squarespace.com logo you can use? Or is there none but this default one?

That's all I have to say about that. Keep up the good work, and photography ;)

3. andrewq

andrewq Member

Thank you so much for that awesome feedback! I will work on a couple of the things I can work on. I think the squarespace.com logo is probably unmoveable. I'm a little bummed on the url too but then I thought that most of the people getting to the site will either be linking there or will get it through a business card so it is all spelled out for them in those cases. Is my logic on that okay?

I will definitely see if I can move the galleries into an alphabetical listing. I thought that was a great idea.

Thanks again!
    Andrew

4. neenee

neenee Well-Known Member

About the URL - indeed if most will get it by means other than word of mouth, it's fine as it is.

I'm glad I could help ;)

5. itrush07

itrush07 New Member

Looks cool.. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.