Need a decent SLR for amateur photo taking.

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by ataranea, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ataranea

ataranea Member

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. 400-600 U.S. dollars

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Size doesnt really matter as long as its good.
    Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 7.0 and up i guess.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) Ultrazoom would be nice.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? amateur photography, action shots, normal uses such as pictures of friends having fun etc...

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Maybe...depending on my mood, but definitely should be able to.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Nope.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? No.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Not really but if it has these such features its definitely a plus.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Since you mention an SLR and that you're looking for ultra-zoom functionality, there aren't a whole lot of choices in your budget. You can definitely find SLRs (with a basic 3x optical zoom kit lens) in your budget, but when you want an ultra-zoom, we're talking about additional lenses.

Probably the closest that you'll get to your budget is the Olympus E-500 two-lens kit. It comes with a 40-150mm lens (80-300mm in 35mm terms) that will get you your ultra-zoom. It's also a very good camera.

3. ataranea

ataranea Member

Hmm...I guess I can settle for the basic zoom kit then. What would be some nice ones there?

4. ataranea

ataranea Member

Oh I guess I have one more question, what would be the difference in quality b/w the SLR rebel/Nikon D40 and the point and shoot of the powershot s5? Iam still pretty new in terms of photography...when i mean amateur i really mean newb/beginner.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

If you know that you'll really get into photography, then I'd say go ahead and concentrate on SLRs. If you don't really consider photography a hobby, but like to have a nice camera, then I'd probably recommend that you go with a fixed-lens camera (like an advanced ultra-zoom).

As far as quality, a digital SLR will provide a faster response (focus times and shutter lag) and will have better noise performance since the sensors are larger than a point and shoot. However, image quality from most higher-end point and shoots is still very good.

The nice thing about the Canon Powershot S5 IS (and its competition), is that you get a long focal length that would have required at least two lenses on a digital SLR. It also has optical image stabilization, which is mostly found on more expensive lenses. SLRs can handle a wider range of shooting conditions better, but you really need to learn how to use all of the shooting options.

6. ataranea

ataranea Member

What would be the best digital SLR in terms of price/quality. Ive been looking at the Canons, Nikons, Fujifilms, Olympus and I just dont know enough about dSLRs to really tell the difference.

7. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

A big part about choosing a digital SLR is how comfortable it feels in your hand. If you're just starting out, pretty much any SLR will have good enough image quality for you. Another part about choosing an SLR is to look at the entire system. If you start with an entry level dSLR and then acquire some nicer lenses, then the next camera that you buy can be a mid-range SLR with the same lens mount and you can use all of your existing lenses.

At your price range, I'm seeing the Canon Digital Rebel XT, Nikon D40, Olympus E-500, and Pentax K100D as options.

8. ataranea

ataranea Member

Cool, thanks Ben for all your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.