need advice from camera gurus

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by jonesez, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonesez

jonesez New Member

looking for a good camera currently i have 3.2 mega pixel vivitar. i am extreamly unhappy with its performance. it sometimes takes 10 seconds or longer to take a picture and it chews through batteries.
    the cameras i have liked so far are
    1 kodak z740
    2 sony cyber h5
    3 canon s3 is
    I dont really care about if these can capture movies or not, ill use my video camera for that.
    Im looking for a camera with good optical 10x or so
    great image quality on the prints is my biggest thing i want.
    like i said, i dont care about tons of features i just want a 10x or so with some of the best pictures and price in between 200-500.
    aside from features are the cameras mentioned about the same as far as quality pictures because the price of the cameras are alot different between them.
    any other cameras to consider?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

First, the Z760 only has a 3x optical zoom. Both the Sony and Canon are very good cameras. It will probably come down to which is more comfortable for you, the type of memory media you have/need to buy, battery type, and things like that.

There are some other cameras in that super-zoom class, like the Panasonic FZ series and Kodak P712, but the Canon and Sony are good choices.

3. jonesez

jonesez New Member

thanks for advice ill take any advice anyone can give. I only paid 88 bucks for my vivitar, my biggest fear is paying 500 for something and it being a pile of crap like the vivitar.

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

The cameras that you're looking at are definitely not piles of crap. :)

5. Josh Dollins

Josh Dollins News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Vivitar is not a successful brand for a reason. I owned an old film model they made that my parents gave me when I was maybe six years old. Yuk. Any of the cameras you mentioned would be nice. I particularly like the panasonic FZ series with leica lense and all but a nice canon or nikon is a good bet also

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Poor Vivitar, they're at the top of my digital camera death list, I don't see how they keep that part of the business going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.