Need advice on equipments for G5

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by abhisheks77, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhisheks77

abhisheks77 Member

I am a newbie in this field. I have Panasonic G5 + 14-42mm + 45-140mm+small lowpro bag, which is suffient for my camera and both lenses. I am going to Travel Grand Canyon+Antelope+Vegas+Coral Pink Sand Dunes+Kelso Dunes in this month end.
    Most of the time in my travel, I will have lot of light due to desert and clean sunny climate. I am planning to take a basic, light weighted tripod.
    I was checking on Tripods. Below url is for Slik Compact II Tripod. Will it have subject to vibration, as this is light weighted ? Others recommended tripds seems to be out of my budget.
    Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More Online Shopping | eBay
    I have LUMIX G Vario 14-42mm lens and H-FS45150K 45-150mm Lumix G Series Lens, which came with this camera as kit.
    Should I consider some like Hoya 52mm (HMC UV / Circular Polarizer / Warm) ? Here is URL - Amazon.com: Hoya 52mm (HMC UV / Circular Polarizer / Warm) 3 Introduction Filter Kit with Pouch: Electronics

Or some individual filter or something else, I will require for my travel ?

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Silk tripods have a good reputation, where the tripod will be important is for extreme closeups, selfies, sunsets, and at night. If you don't expect to be doing much of any of those things, then lugging a tripod around may not make sense. I always have a tripod in the trunk of my car, but that doesn't mean I use it a lot.

A UV filter is good for peace of mind when the dust is up. Hopefully most of the days for your trip will not be that bad, then you can leave the UV filter off.

A polarizing filter is a matter of preference. I don't like what they do to sky tones, so I don't use them. There are plenty of folks who use them a lot. Your call.

The warming filter is nearly useless. Unless you refuse to have anything to do with setting WB on your camera or post processing with a photo editor. If you use it at all, it could shift the colors for a sunset shot. Which can also be done later with a photo editor.

So there is no real harm in that filter kit, just use the filters sparingly, do not assume you should have some filter on the lens for most shots. 95% of the time you are better off with no filter at all.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.