Need Help choosing good digital camera!

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by adr3naline fix, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adr3naline fix

adr3naline fix New Member

Hey guys! There are so many digital cameras out there, I need some help. I want a few things of my camera, and the size of the camera does not matter !

-Takes the pictures fast ( Dont know what it's called. But when I press that button, it should TAKE THE PICTURE instead of waiting 14 seconds!)
    -Nice optical zoon
    -5MP+
    -sun blocking/limiting lense guard thinger...whats that called again? haha. I can probably buy them as an accessory, I just dont know what they are called!
    -gotta look professional! because I dont want to look like a complete fool looking for the perfect angle with a camera phone if you know what I mean!
    -MSRP of 500 or less!
    -Can be a few years old, I dont care...it will be cheaper!

Any ideas?

THANKS!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

What you're referring to is a lens hood. Some ultrazoom cameras come with them, like the Sony H50 and Panasonic FZ18/FZ28, and some don't. Most of the ultrazoom cameras that don't come with a lens hood can use one but you'll have to buy it separately. Some ultrazoom cameras (Fuji S8100fd) can't use a lens hood at all.

DSLR's come with a lens hood as well, though even entry level DSLR's will be at the top of your price range.

Other than the lens hood issue, is there any particular reason why you need a larger, expensive camera like an ultrazoom or a DSLR instead of a smaller, cheaper point and shoot?

3. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Yeah a few reasons as to why you want a camera with what you requested would be great pointers as to what camera would be best for you...

4. adr3naline fix

Myself and my riding buddies are going to be using it to shoot action sports (snowboarding, BMX) for our sponsors (trying to cut down on costs of a photagrapher) so it needs to have a very quick snap-shot. I think its called shutter speed? Im not sure

They need to be high quality because of the places the pictures will be appearing.

So are their any professional point and shoot cameras that can snap a picture fast and well, with good zoom? I havent gotten over the price shock of even a used DSLR.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. Andy Stanton

Professional photographers don't use point and shoot cameras - they use DSLR's. However, even the best camera won't take great pictures if the photographer doesn't have the necessary skill.

The shots you want to take are difficult shots for the average snapshooter, especially with a point and shoot camera. You definitely need a camera with minimal shutter lag. Many point and shoot cameras are good in that respect (but not as good as DSLR's). A lens hood would be useful to keep out excess light, but it's not essential. You might also use the camera's continuous shooting mode, which allows you to take several quick shots in succession. DSLR's are much better at this, but point and shoots would probably do the job too.

All things considered, I'd probably go with the Panasonic FZ18 or the new FZ28. It's the fastest ultrazoom and has a good continuous shooting mode. However, keep in mind that you still might not get good looking photos because getting good shots of moving bikes, snowboards, etc. requires a high level of photographic skill.

6. adr3naline fix

Thanks for the info

I am looking at the Fz4, fz5, fz7 from panasonic...because of their smaller price tag. Their shutter lag is said to be .4 sec. This is quite fast, correct? The lower the shutter lag, the faster the picture is taken, right? (stupid question but must clarify!)

I understand that the shutter lag is dependant upon the lighting especially, but most of the shots will be during the day. Night shots will have quite a bit of 3rd party lighting...but night shots are still very rare for us.

7. Andy Stanton

8. flowers26

flowers26 New Member

the casio ex-f1 is a good camera (dslr). it takes some great action shots, so if you are looking to take a picture and get the shot quickly, it would be good (60fps). it also takes great videos, records up to 1200fps. i think casio is coming out with a smaller digital camera, looks pretty cool. the ex-f1 would most likely suit your needs a bit more though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.