1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

need help for buying a new camera ;)

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by pallan, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pallan

pallan New Member

Hi!

I'm looking for a new camera for landscapes, family pictures, kids moving, pictures at night (sort of all-around non-professional use). I will be taking a lot of indoor photos, some action photos, and a few low light photos. I would perfer a camera with image stabilization, since it will be used for point-and-shoot (no tripod) and I do not have a very steady hand.

- My budget is 300-500 euro (400-650 usd)
    - Size does not matter
    - Megapixel does not matter
    - Standard (3x-4x) optical zoom
    - Image quality is important, at least 8/10
    - I do not care about manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority)
    - Brand is not important

I am considering:
    - Canon EOS 1100D (Rebel T3i)
    - Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
    - Nikon Coolpix P510

Would anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance ;)

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Of the three camera's you're considering the EOS 1100D (Rebel T3), which is the only DSLR in the group, is the best. The others, which are ultrazooms (a point and shoot with a long zoom lens), are excellent if you need one-lens convenience and a very long zoom lens. But they aren't capable of producing the excellent picture quality that you'll get from the EOS 1100D. The EOS 1100D is also quicker than the two ultrazooms.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

All cameras now have an Auto mode, including DSLR cameras. However the point-and-shoot class of cameras take this more seriously, do a better job for Auto use. Starting out with a DSLR you could get by with its Auto mode for a while. But eventually you will need to learn at least the Program mode and how to choose ISO. Links for more thoughts -

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.co...461-just-starting-completely-overwhelmed.html

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/p-mode-on-digital-slr-cameras/

Advantages and Disadvantages of Various ISO Speeds – PictureCorrect

Kelly Cook

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  4. pallan

pallan New Member

Thanks a lot for your advice, I believe I'll pick get the EOS1100D then!

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

6. Finntastic

Finntastic New Member

Definitely go for the Rebel! I know a lot of moms who use that exact camera for the exact types of pictures you described, and the results always look great. It's the perfect introduction into the world of DSLR cameras. Let us know if you end up buying it and whether you like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.