Need info on lenses

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by LAV, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAV

LAV New Member

Hello,
    I am new here, and I have a really stupid question.
    First of all, I shoot a lot of old barn and landscape type photos, and am interested in the Tamron 16-300mm. What intrigued me was the wide angle, macro, and zoom combined.
    Now I already own the Nikon 55-300, so I was trying to find kind of a all in one lens for what I do. I also have the 18-55 that I shoot with all the time...great little lens, but a little more wide angle and a little more zoom would be great.
    A more knowledgeable camera guy than myself lent me his Nikon 18-105, as he is wanting to sell it. He suggested that I keep my Nikon 300mm, and use this for my everyday lens, so to speak.
    my question here is, although with an 18-105 I will gain almost twice the zoom.....the bottom number is still 18. Will this lens provide any wider angle than my 18-55?
    Also, knowing now what I am looking for, can you recommend a lens (for a guy on a budget) that is like 16-105? Thanks, LAV

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

A good lens, if that's what you're looking for. Not cheap.
    The 55-300mm lens should give you all the zoom you'll need in most situations.

No. The 18-55mm is equivalent to a 27-78mm lens (35mm) and the 18-105mm is equivalent to a 27-158mm lens, the same wide angle capability. The 16-300mm is equivalent to a 24-450mm lens - much better zoom but practically the same wide angle ability.

If you must have a 1 lens solution the Tamron 16-300mm and the Nikon 18-105mm are very good. Also consider the Sigma 18-250mm for a one lens solution, which can be found for under $300 on sale.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Andy is right. Wide angle zooms do not have much range. My Sigma 10-20 is only 2X. Canon has a 15-85 that is popular, but I don't know if Nikon has anything equivalent.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.