New camera advice, please

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by taraxacum, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taraxacum

taraxacum New Member

Hi - I'm new to the forum and new (more or less) to photography, so I may not make much sense... - but any help/guidance will be very gratefully received.

I have 2 main immediate needs, both revolving round producing pictures for the web. Firstly, we run a boarding kennels and I'd like to produce pictures of the premises (outside and inside) for our website. Secondly, we'd like to be able to take close-ups of various small items (figurines say 100-300mm and paintings up to 1000mm) for archiving/selling purposes.

My current (3megapixel; 4x digital zoom Goodmans G-Shot) doesn't have the ability to get all of a room or all of an outside shot into the frame; and neither can it get good enough quality for the close-ups.

And now the FAQs:

Budget: $300-400 (I'm in the UK, and want to spend 200-300stlg)

Size: not an issue

How many megapixels will suffice for you?: Don't know

* What optical zoom will you need? Probably 10-12x optical (???)

* How important is “image quality” to you? 5-7

Do you care for manual exposure modes: Not sure what these are - but am happy to learn

* What will you generally use the camera for? Internal and external shots of kennels; close-ups of art works

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? No

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No

Are there particular models you already have in mind? No

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Probably the wide angle (I guess)

Sorry for the non-techie answers - but I'd appreciate some pointers.

Thanks,

Steve

2. jetstar

jetstar Well-Known Member

Consider the Canon PowerShot G9, although it may be a little expensive.

3. taraxacum

taraxacum New Member

Thanks for the reply, jetstar, and yes, as you imply, the Canon is a little over my price range. Could you give me a hint as to what my priorities should be given what I want to use the camera for, and what aspects I could compromise on.

Is it the indoor wide-angle aspect that is proving difficult to meet in a lower-priced camera?

Thanks,

Steve

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Most of your requirements are easily met by any SLR-like ultracompact. Examples Canon SX20 IS, Olympus SP-590, Panasonic FZ35/38, Sony H50, etc.

The one requirement that can be sticky is - "Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes". Sticky because the question is so vague in the first place. Whether you will be using flash or not makes a big difference. If you are using flash then the distance of the subject makes a big difference. Plus "low light" can mean very different light levels to different people. So taken to an extreme it's easy to say most cameras are ruled out and only a few premium ones will work. Or taken lightly (flash at close distance) practically any camera would work. With lots and lots of shades of grey in between. Not your fault at all, just a poorly put question.

Kelly Cook

5. taraxacum

taraxacum New Member

Thanks for the reply, Kelly. I've had a quick look at UK sellers and the cameras you mention fit within my price range - I'll get to a store and see what they look/feel like in the flesh.

And thanks for your comments on indoor/poor light/flash etc - I'll guess I'll just have to experiment when I get the camera.

Thanks again,

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.