New e-510 & a newbie to D-SLR's...plz help

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by everybodylies, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

Hello all,

My name is Vicki and I, like a few other here, have just made the switch to the d-slr world from my sony p&s. I've tried reading booklet, oh man, VERY overwhelming/information overload. I am already looking into a photography class in the fall....

Anyway, my husband wanted me to take some pics in the house this evening. We were both getting upset because we could not understand the so very many blinks before the flash. I mean, it wasn't pitch dark or something.....just not very light, and it just "blinked" forever before it actually took the picture. Then I read this...

David Rasnake said,

"What you may be getting, however, is either a low-light AF assist pulse or the pre-flash that the camera uses to meter. Not sure how you'd turn the AF assist off (not sure you'd want to...), and there's probably not much you can do if what you're seeing is the pre-flash (though usually this burst is so short that we don't perceive it independent of the flash itself)."

So, this is something I want to happen? By the time it took the pic my dog was long gone. Any suggestions?

Thank!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Generally for pictures of pets and children that don't hold still you want to use a few tricks to help. For starts it helps to use Aperture priority mode, then set the Aperture to the smallest number (widest opening). This will let in the most light possible. Then you can try taking some shots. If they turn out blurry due to a low shutter speed you can try slowly increasing the ISO until they look ok. Be careful, though, increasing the ISO will make the pictures have more noise, which often times is undesirable. Also you can try a sports mode, or pets or children if available. Good Luck!

3. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

Yep, what you want is to turn off AF Illuminator. That's on the Settings1 Menu.

4. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

So its as easy as turning the AF off? Wow, thanks!

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

If you turn the Auto Focus off you are going to have to focus manually. Make sure all you turn off is the AF illuminator.

6. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

I kinda went hunting for it and couldn't find it anyway. There just has to be a better way then all the bursts before the flash. Thanks

7. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

Seriously, look in your manual. It's on page 51 as shown by the table of contents on page 14.

It's exactly where I said it was.

8. everybodylies

everybodylies Member

Found it, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.