New to DSLR Range... Please advice.

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by binnx1, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Which Camera is good in terms of price:performance??

Poll closed Mar 19, 2012.
  1. Nikon D5100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Canon Rebel T3i (EOS 600D)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sony SLT a55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nikon D7000

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binnx1

binnx1 Member

Hi! I'm looking for a new DSLR camera, fed up from compacts limited range of manual controls and all. so decided to move towards DSLR.

So from so many days reading lot of reviews and comparing specs, finally going to buy a camera so need expert advice.

I am using "Sony Cybershot W380" currently.

Budget
    Ideally under $1,000. Nothing over $1,300.

Size
    Size doesn't matter at all.

Features
    - Biggest feature I'd like is an image quality.
    - Battery Life.
    - Would love HDR, Creative effects or any other eye candy offered.

General Usage
    - Day-to-Day shots
    - Main usage in: Outdoor, Portraits, Indoor Low Light(A lot of random family photos), holidays, Kids, Action shots, Macro, Music Concerts, (overall general usage in every field)

Miscellaneous
    I'm more interested in getting a well performing camera at a good price.

Candidates So Far
    - Nikon D5100 - Favorite (as having all what required can compromise on lack of inbuilt AF motor)
    - Canon EOS 600D [Rebel T3i] - (Short bettery life and lack in featured but heard good about Canon over Nikon)
    - Sony a55 - (Does'nt need GPS/Sweep Panorama/3D, in my list only because of good specs)

Obv. I'm going to buy AF-S 55~300 VR lens if my choice will be D5100 or any lens i'll buy, it would not be a problem if the camera will not have buit-in AF motor.

P.S. - More oriented towards Images, Video shooting is like 15~20%

Please help me choosing from these or if any other superior camera available in price and performance ration, I'll appriciate and I'm already confused, when people say both are equally good, so please pick one.

Waiting for response.

Regards,
    Binny Matharoo

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

All three cameras have very good handling, quick performance and excellent image quality.

The Nikon D5100 has the best battery life and it also has auto HDR. The Canon is second in battery life but lacks auto HDR. The Sony has the worst battery life but it does have auto HDR.

Based on your needs, the Nikon D5100 seems like the best of the three for you.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The Nikon D7000 is a higher spec camera than the others on your list, at least for manual controls and still photography (Canon 600D may have better video). Whether you can get a good price on the D7000 depends on how, when, and where you shop.

The ultimate image quality will depend more on the lens than the camera. It takes most of us some time (years) to get near that ultimate threshold. Better lenses can be purchased for any of these brands at a later time.

The most pleasing image quality can depend on the body, if we are limiting this to the images straight out of the camera, no post processing. But pleasing is a personal call, some like Canon results better, some like Nikon better. If this is important to you, compare the sample images provided with camera reviews.

Creative effects are found in more abundance in advanced compacts (Canon S100 or Olympus XZ-1) and Micro4/3 cameras (especially Olympus). If this is important to you, in the camera, then a DSLR is a very questionable choice. DSLR cameras are not typically used that way. Instead the creative effects are applied to DSLR images in post processing.

Well performing at a good price is actually the cheapest DSLR you can find. Better DSLR models do perform better, but at a disproportionally high price.

Battery life can be an issue if you use LiveView or video a lot. Then a spare battery is a good precaution. Regardless of camera brand.

This is not so much a matter of which camera is superior, as it is which one has the design, features, and handling that appeals to you the most.

no help Kelly

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  4. binnx1

binnx1 Member

Hi!

Thanks for quick advice. I heard in reviews that Nikon D5100 and D7000 had same image quality. Is it so?

I can go with D7000 if performance is good.

Any considerable advantages of D7000??

@Kelly: yea I do understand that the eye candy is not or DSLRs.
    I do post processing a lot. Just liked the effects of D5100 that's why I was considering.

D7000 or D5100 will do the job??

Regards,
    Binny

5. binnx1

binnx1 Member

The Flash Sync speeds are maximum 1/200 is this some major matter of concern?

6. Andy Stanton

It's 1/200 for the D5100 and T3i. It's even slower, 1/160, for the SLT A55.

Is it a concern? Possibly, if you intend to take lots of action shots with the flash enabled as a speed of 1/200 will not eliminate blur when objects are moving. But I don't see a practical solution to this as all consumer DSLR's have relatively slow flash sync speeds. For instance, the maximum flash sync speed is 1/250 for the Nikon D7000, the Canon 60D and 7D and the Sony SLT-A77.

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I do play with the Picture Style settings in my Canon from time to time. And the occasional funky special effects filter for the lens. But that is as close to in-camera creative as I get.

Any of these cameras will get the job done. For lots more views simple Google on -

Nikon D7000 or D5100

Kelly

8. Jim Keenan

Jim Keenan News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Hi Binny:

I shot the D7000 for the review of that camera on this site and am a lifelong Nikon shooter - between my wife and myself we shoot a D200 in a water housing for surf/water shots and a D3, D3S, and two D300S bodies on lenses ranging from 10.5 mm to 600mm.

First, I absolutely agree with both Kelly and Andy that any of the three cameras you're considering will do a fine job for you - if you can't get good images out of them the fault is not the camera...........but on to the Nikons.

Haven't shot the D5100 personally but the CAM 1000 AF system in it is the same as the D200, and that 11 point system is pretty good - its performance compared quite favorably with Nikon's D2X, which was the pro body at the time (I had a D2X and got to compare side-by-side) both were introduced.

The D7000 has a newer 39 point system that is a bit quicker to acquire focus (but the D200 is not slow by any means) and holds focus on moving subjects a bit better (and again, the D200 is quite good in this regard as well). If you're going to shoot a lot of moving subjects, particularly fast moving or smaller subjects, the D7000 may do a bit better job holding focus for you.The D7000 system compares quite favorably with the 51 point system in the D300S and D3/D3S/D3X bodies - not quite as quick in my estimation, but pretty close. That 51 point system is being enhanced and carried over into the latest generation D4 body, which tells you the basic system is pretty good on its own.

Continuous shooting rates are 4 fps in the D5100 and 6 fps in the D7000 - if you shoot a lot of sequences you can determine if the added speed is worth having.

The viewfinder on the D7000 offers abut 100% coverage, the D5100 about 95%.This means when you frame a shot with the D7000 what you see is what you'll capture; with the D5100 there will be some slight additional area in the shot you didn't see through the viewfinder (which could include something you didn't want). Usually this isn't a concern and the worst case scenario is you do a post process crop to remove the unwanted part.

Sensor size and resolution are the same in both cameras, and both cameras have the EXPEED 2 processing engine so you're probably looking at very similar noise performance between the two cameras. It's probably analogous to the D300 and D90 - the D300 came out first, then the D90 appeared with the same sensor and basically produced similar image and noise quality out of a less fully-featured body. (I did the D300 and D90 reviews here also).

I think these are the major differences between the D7000 and D5100 - given equal glass on each I think image quality would be a draw and your need for the additional performance in some areas is probably the determining factor. Personally, I think the D5100 will do anything you need or want to do.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. binnx1

binnx1 Member

Hi!

Thanks Andy, Kelly and Jim for advise..

I finalized on Nikon D5100 and thought of buying Nikon AF-S 55-300 VR Lens along with Nikon 50mm AF-S Lens.

I have heard that AF-S 55-300 is not that much good? is it so?

As I am totally new in DSLR territory, so please advice on this also.

Should I get Nikon AF-S 55-300 VR or Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR?

Choosing 50mm only because f1.8, would it be beneficial?

Regards,
    Binny Matharoo

10. Andy Stanton

It gets good reviews, but I haven't had any personal experience with it.

They are both good lenses. The 70-300mm is quite a bit more expensive though, and I don't know if it's worth it.

For low light shooting, the inexpensive Nikon F1.8 is a great deal.

11. binnx1

binnx1 Member

Thanks Andy!!

Andy btw 2 years back, you finalised my Cybershot W380. It is still with me. Thanks for help. N let me search for 55-300 lens more.

Binny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.