Next lens for the 40d?

Discussion in 'Canon' started by AaronM, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

So some background, I've a Canon 40d, and one of the things I frequently photograph is city scenes. Not street photography of people, but architecture(inside and outside) and such in cities. For daytime work I've been happy with my Sigma 18-50 f2.8 for wide, and my canon 70-200 for long, but neither is quite good for night work or dark interiors. So that leaves me asking this question, what would you recommend for a night lens for buildings and such? In my mind the default answer is the Canon 50mm f1.8. It's not a perfect lens, it feels like a toy, and has a really loud autofocus motor, but optical quality is very good and it's cheaper than my current camera bag. So what out there is better, if more money(say under $400ish)?
    I have had the following ideas:
    1. Canon 50mm f1.4
    2. Sigma 50 mm f1.4
    3. Sigma 30mm 1.4
    4. Canon 28mm 1.8

So I leave it to the assembled masses, thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
    A

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I would go wider than the 50mm, given the lenses you already have, either the 30mm or the 28mm.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I don't know. I hear what AKAJohnDoe is saying, but at the same time, the 50mm f/1.4 is just such a staple for portraiture and urban shooting - and both the Canon and Sigma variants are just so darn sharp - that it's hard for me to not to think that that's where I'd go next if I were you, Aaron.

If you're going wide, I've been more impressed with the sharpness from the Canon 28mm than the Sigma, but you're giving up a half-stop of speed in the process (which may ultimately defeat your purposes if you're also looking for more low-light capabilities than your current setup allows).

Some "Devil's Advocate" thoughts...

dr

4. mcfaddenator

mcfaddenator Member

Oddly enough, I have the same question.

I have an old Canon 28-90 EF out of a 35mm Rebel and a 100-300 knockoff that just sucks for IQ.

I am looking at the Canon 18-200, is it any good?

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

FWIW, I have a 28/1.8 and a 50/1.4.

I realize it is a bit more expensive than those at which you have been looking, but the 24mm tilt-shift might be just the ticket for architectural work.

Alternately, you might consider some flashes for lighting up those dark interiors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.