nikon advice please

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by mantababe, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantababe

mantababe Member

hi im new to this forum so hi guys

need some advice, im looking to buy my first SLR [currently use the great canon s95 and im mainly an underwater photographer] but the s95 is very limited on land [use manual settings underwater as this camera has full manual controls]

im looking for a nikon but not sure how to decide? funds are limited so mayb around the £500 mark, but i want one that will grow with me love the D7000 but way beyond a nurses wage :( have looked at D3100 or D5000 but how do i decide?

hope you can help confused underwater photographer who wants more land ops ;)

2. Mandrake

Mandrake Member

Now you can get the D5100, same sensor as the D7000.

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

All Nikon DSLR's will take good looking pictures. The D5100 has a few more features than the D3100. Are those extra features sufficient reason to buy the more expensive D5100? Only you can decide that.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I'm confused here about the S95 being limited on land, and the concern for "more land ops". Just what are those limits with the S95? What "land ops" do you have in mind?

Kelly Cook

5. mantababe

mantababe Member

sorry i didnt explain myself very well. you cant get lens to add on to this camera so id like bit more telephoto, plus you cant get good bokeh with it [F. stops are limited] . ive had some really good results from the s95 its a great camera, and i intend to carry on using this underwater, but now feel an slr would give me more opportunities topside

6. mantababe

mantababe Member

i think i have almost decided on the D90 unless anyone else has any comments

7. Mandrake

Mandrake Member

Nothing wrong with the D90 unless your require 1080p video. The only thing is the price is usually not too far away from the D7000.

8. mantababe

mantababe Member

Re: What is the purpose of getting different lens ?

so have you any advice for what lens a newbie would require? ive also heard that some are better than others, which should we be looking at as dont want cheap ones but at same time cant afford top of the range, im thinking of getting the D90, as been told the kits dont supply good lens....so where do i go to get my first ones???

9. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Most people buy the kit lens and a long zoom lens. The Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR is a very popular long zoom lens and it's fairly inexpensive at less than $250. For about another $100 you can pick up the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX, which will give you significantly more zoom.

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

For the bokeh game, Nikon has a wider selection of affordable primes than any other brand (and this is a Canon guy saying this). But I would put off picking up one of those until after you get a little experience with your new D90.

The "buy expensive lenses only" advice is mainly for deep crops. If you don't crop a bunch, the "cheap" kit lenses will do. Where you need to be wary is some of the cheap non-Nikon brand lenses. But even that needs to be seen on a case-by-case basis. Some of the 3rd party lenses do a good job.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.