Nikon Coolpix P7100 Review: Take Two Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Howard Creech, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Creech

Howard Creech News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

When Nikon released the CoolPix P7000 last year, there was much discussion about its eerie resemblance to the Canon G12. The Canon Powershot G12 has been the top dog in the high-end point-and-shoot market since the introduction of the original G1 in late 2000, but Nikon's P7000 was meant to end Canon's dominance of this upper tier market niche.

The P7000 was purpose-designed to compete with Canon's G12. The two cameras offered remarkably similar ergonomics, optical viewfinders, near identical specifications, and both were clearly designed for photo enthusiasts. Unfortunately for Nikon, the P7000 didn't quite measure up to the challenge. While the P7000 was easily competitive with the G12 in terms of image quality, but it was noticeably slower in operation than the G12 and its menu system was unnecessarily complex. Nikon dropped the ball when they introduced the "not ready for prime time" P7000 and their chagrinned marketing and product development folks were obliged to return the P7000 to the drawing board. The result of that re-engineering project is the new improved Coolpix P7100.

[​IMG]

Read the full content of this Article: Nikon Coolpix P7100 Review: Take Two

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Very impressive image quality. It would be tough to choose between the P7100 and the Canon G12.

3. Howard Creech

Thanks Andy. If I were making the choice - having used both cameras fairly extensively - I'd go with the P7100.

4. Jostian

Jostian New Member

Hi Howard, why would you choose the P7100, I would too, just because I love Nikon and some of the technologies are pretty nifty, and the IQ is marginally better than the P7000 apparently (especially noise control) I see a few reviews saying there s a bit more detail in the P7100 shots compared to the G12 too, but maybe you have less emotive and more objective reasons? thanks

5. Howard Creech

I covered why I would select the P7100 over the G12 in some depth in my review, but basically it comes down to slightly better ergonomics and slightly better image quality from the P7100.

6. ridac

ridac New Member

Not recommended, the lens cover stuck half way always after one year of low usage. Knocking the camera a bit open it or manually force it to open.

However after couple of months, one half of the cover won't open at all which force the camera to struggle starting. Nikon service request cover change with part only cost of 250 US$ (half the camera price).

If you read other threads, this is common issues inherited from previous model P7000.

Never again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.