Nikon Coolpix S8000 Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Howard Creech, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Creech

Howard Creech News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

After schlepping around a 35mm kit with two Nikon camera bodies, several lenses, and a full sized Bogen tripod for many years, I've come to appreciate small, easily pocketable cameras like the Nikon Coolpix S8000. When our test unit arrived, I was immediately impressed and after two weeks of carrying the camera with me just about everywhere I went, my initial impressions haven't changed. The little black S8000 (the camera is also available in silver, red and brown) is about the size of an Altoids tin and provides a nice balance of usability, simplicity and snappy performance.

[​IMG]

Read the full content of this Article: Nikon Coolpix S8000 Review

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. kelsci

kelsci Active Member

I found the 720P video interesting. The audio sounded very good to me. However I could not really tell how good the stereo separation was if in fact the video downloaded in stereo properly. I do not think the camera's price is that out of line with say a Panasonic TZ7 but I really do not know how good there stereo separation is on that Panasonic unit. I have been very satisfied with the mono sound quality on Panasonics DMC-LS80 and the LS-85

3. leaftye

leaftye Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting the weight with the battery and memory card.

It seems like a very nice P&S camera. The lack of manual controls seems a little disappointing, but you know, I never really use manual features on a compact camera anyway. But 200 shots per charge?? Ouch. It seems like manufacturers are on a race to the bottom in regards to battery life in compact cameras.

4. tovli

tovli New Member

Outside this camera produced great shots from wide to tele, sun, shadows, and sunset. Inside, flash photos of people at 5 to 8 feet away... well, our S8000 shots are only good to 4x6, and even then not great. The problem is the camera, on auto everything, is pushing the ISO to 500 or 800 with "high gain up". If I limit the ISO, it is better, but wife wanted point and shoot, not fiddle till the shot is gone. Comparing to Panasonic ZS3, the Nikon S8000 is easier to use, slightly less saturated outdoors, very accurate colors, same tele (300mm equiv.), not as wide (30mm vs 24mm equiv), no zoom during 720p HD, and the indoor flash portraits are garbage compared to the same shot with the Panasonic ZS3. The S8000's pop-up flash is sometimes a problem, especially when having a stranger take a pic.

Trying to decide to keep or take back.

5. denbink

denbink New Member

Well, I think that the Nikon Coolpix S8000 is for sure, way over priced for what it is and for the not so great photos that it takes. I own one and I find it lacking picture quality and the start up is very slow, even when the start up screen is TURNED OFF to a blank screen. I mean...we want quick start ups or we will all loose that shot!
    The body is flimsy. Be very careful around the pop up flash area and not to hit or bang it there because the metal around it will fold in or bend out of shape and cause it to not...PoP Up. I had to take the side panne off and then with a needle nose pliers, pull the metal away from the flash so it could pop up again. The side pannel that I had to remove was made of a cheap plastic. Tiny Tiny screws hold it in place. Sheesh...ya think Nikon could have made this camera in accordance to the price!! I am and will be in shock over this purchase. Nikon's point and shoots don't hold a candle to the DSLR's they make. The DSLR's are awesome. I own a D40 and a D90! Rugged and druable!
    REDUCE YOUR PRICES ON THE S8000, NIKON! I know...you are stitting here, reading these reviews and really wanting this camera, but I warn you! BUYER BEWARE OF THIS ONE. It looks awesome but..can't judge a book by it's cover!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.