Nikon D50 with lense options

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by Quikster, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Wail, since you mentioned Minolta, will you be anxious to see what Sony will do with Konica Minolta's technology, now that they'll be building digital SLRs with the Maxxum/Dynax mount?

2. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Ben,

Hold on there for a minute, what has Sony got to do with Konica Minolta? Don’t tell me that they some form of acquisition took place!

3. Quikster

Quikster Well-Known Member

Yeah my last digital camera was a Konica-Minolta Z2 that was very good for a P&S camera but it just isn't quite fast enough or diverse enough for what I would like.

I haven't decided which way I'll go about buying this but I'll let you know. My Dad just purchased a D50 with an 18-70mm & a 55-200mm lens along with a 2gb 150x memory card. I'll definetly check his out as it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. The only problem is with his package it cost almost 1000.00 which is a little more than I wanted to spend at the moment.

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

5. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Quikster,

Since your dad just bought a D50, why don’t you hold off buying one for a while and try his out for a day? Once you buy your equipments you will be stuck with them unless you are willing to sell them for a sizable loss, most likely.

Give your dad’s D50 a test drive first, see if you like the “feel” of it, it’s features, and if it really is what you want.

As for the $1,000 price tag, note that your dad bought the body along with two zoom lenses; you don’t have to invest that much from day-1. You can always add any lens you may wish later on.

6. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Ben,

Thank you for the links, very disturbing to me this has been.

I hate to see companies “walk-out” of their product lines, or disappear as a whole. It was a very sad day, for me, to see the name Compaq disappear with the merger between Compaq and HP (I was a very loyal customer to Compaq), and now with Minolta, too.

Very disturbing indeed.

As the article mentioned, the manner under which Minolta was exiting was very graceful, and now I wonder if Sony will be able to deliver on its’ promise and give us a Digital SLR that really measures up to Minolta’s history?

7. Quikster

I know I don't have to buy all those right away and I was going to try his out before I pulled the trigger and bought something. The problem with not spending that right away is that if I decide I want to get those lenses the best price I've found on them is in the initial package. So while I could save some money short term, if I decide that I'm going to want those eventually it costs me more money in the long run.

8. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Personally, I think that Sony can do a good job. They definitely have the electronics expertise, the Carl Zeiss lenses to use (not sure if they will or not though). Now, hopefully, they'll get the K-M Maxxum mount and maybe even K-M's anti-shake mechanism.

9. Quikster

Well I ended up getting the Sigma 18-200mm lens and figured I could borrow my Dad's two lenses (Nikkor 18-70mm & 55-200mm). Also, this way we have a single lens that can be used in situations where it is really inconvient to be changing lens all the time, i.e. themeparks, zoos, and such where you don't want to carry to much extra. Hopefully I can do a full comparison of the same subject between the three lens mounted on a tripod so that I can help the next person decide what they should get.

10. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

That's a great focal length range on that lens. I would enjoy seeing the comparison, so I hope you get a chance to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.