Nikon D600 vs. Pentax K-3 Image Comparison: Pentax Sweeps Nikon Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Laura Hicks, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Well, learning the WB and color intricacies has not come all that quickly for me :(- . Not that I deny the need for these adjustments, they just come with the territory. But I still take no comfort when a big Red/Green shift is needed, even after teeing up the color temperature.

Fair point on the JPGs. If JPG is your game, compare the JPGs straight out of the camera, not after Adobe has had its way with them.

Kelly

2. gabriel

gabriel New Member

While I agree that the K-3 is a fine aps-c camera (if not the best) for stills photographers, I must disagree with your conclusion that it beats the D600 in IQ.
    The images are more contrasty and the colors are more vivid in the K-3, also the WB is a bit different, but that can be tweaked in PP and can be at least partly due to the lens.
    However, with 800 iso and up, the FF sensors shows at a full stop advantage over the smaller APS-c which is very easy to depict in most of your high ISO snapshots.
    For my usage, I'd prefer the K-3 over the D600 for its size, build quality, UI and lenses available. But this does not mean that I would be able to produce better pictures, mainly in high ISO settings. But this is a trade-off some will accept in order to get a less expensive and more portable camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.