Nikon P80 vs canon S5 IS ..Which One is better to buy ?

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Brahmaasmi, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahmaasmi

Brahmaasmi Member

hi ,

i am a lover of Nikon Lense Quality .i wanna buy Nikon P80(release 3 days before into market) bcoz ,i needed 10 Mp resolution & > 5X Optical Zoom with Manual Controls like Shutter Speed , Focus , Aperture priority.

In the Nikon forums, they suggested me to buy S5IS ,that is very close to my requirement,The dpreviews were also good.

1)I wanted to know is S5IS is good enough in quality of lenses
    2) Is G9 more better than S5IS
    3) Has anyone used Nikon P80 and can I buy that ?(This is my first preference)

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

1. You can't change the lens on the S5 IS but you can buy wide-angle and tele converters for it, the lens on the S5 IS is good.

2. The G9 only has 6x zoom compared to the 12X of the S5 IS, otherwise the camera's should perform similarly.

3. Considering that the Nikon P80 has not been released yet or gotten into reviewers hands I really can't commend about the P80 just yet.

3. Caramel

Caramel Well-Known Member

Go with the S5. IT's a great camera. I have it.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I had a chance to try out the Nikon P80 today and I'm really impressed. It's small and light but solidly made. It has an excellent LCD and a good electronic viewfinder. It starts up quickly and zooms quickly and smoothly. Its menus are laid out nicely. It fits very well in the hand. I don't know much about the quality of the photos yet, but I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty good. The biggest downside at this point is the $400 list price.

5. Brahmaasmi

Brahmaasmi Member

hi ,
    thanx for ur replies///

What does it mean by the lines "you can't change the lens ,but need to buy wide angle & telephoto lens"

presently ,i don't have any idea to buy wide angle lens or telephoto one,but will i be able to take snaps without that ( or ) like a SLR cameras demand a lens , should i need one for S5IS ?

Also ,does P80 has manual controls of aperture, priority settings ?

6. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

What I meant was converter/auxiliary lenses that attach to the front of the to the front of the standard lens to give it more wide angle or telephoto capability.

You don't need them if you do not want them, so yes of course you will be able to shoot pictures without them.

Yes, the P80 does have aperture priority mode.

7. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.