Novice Photographer needs camera buying help!!

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by dragonfly11m, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonfly11m

dragonfly11m Member

I am looking to update my much dated sony digital camera. I am not very knowlegable when it comes to cameras and I will by basing my upcoming purchase solely on reviews and suggestions from others. I am basically looking for a good camera that is user friendly. The majority of the pics I take will be of my 1 year old son- so quick picture taking is a must. Being able to take some "at home" portraits of him would save a lot of money. Also, I am interested in slowly learning more about photography and would like a reasonably priced camera that will allow me to practice my novice skills.

I have read several reviews on the Canon Rebel XS and XSI- would something like this be appropriate for my needs? Is there another camera comparable in price or better featured?? Again- I need one that I can learn to operate without to much trouble.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    ---I would like to spend no more than $700.

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    ---I am looking for something fairly compact, but size isn't a big factor.

* What optical zoom will you need?
    ---I would like a camera that has a higher grade zoom.

* How important is “image quality” to you?
    ---Image quality is very important.. doesn't everyone want good image quality :) ??

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    ---As stated earlier, I am a new mom so most of my pictures will be of my son and other family members. I would also like to be able to shoot good images of things in nature ( trees, flowers, sunsets, etc.. ). Also, I want be shooting a lot of sporting events right now, but I do want the camera to be able to capture some light action.

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    ---I am open to any brand.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Canon Rebel XS
    Canon Rebel XSi
    Nikon D60

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!:D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Canon Rebel XSi is very similar to the XS. Based on your modest needs, the XS should be sufficient. The Nikon D60 would also meet your needs. Both the Canon and Nikon have very good picture quality and are good in low light, though Nikon's default picture quality is more heavily saturated than Canon's. Here are some sample pics to compare.
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xs
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/d60

If you want a long zoom you'll have to purchase a second lens, as the kit lenses that come with either Canon or the Nikon have a limited amount of optical zoom (3x).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.