NV10 Flash Color Temp Not Right

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by csharp2a, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csharp2a

csharp2a New Member

I have having an issue with my new NV10. When I shoot outside, the color temp is beautiful...I do not have to adjust at all. When I shoot inside with the little flash, the subjects skin tones are way off. I use Aperture for my photo adjustments and I am finding that I have to change the color temp to around 4000K to get anywhere close. This pic was taken under incandescent can type (spot light) recessed lighting in a hotel lobby.

I would expect that the camera would be able to compensate for the corrections, but the color with flash is horrible. All pics taken with the flash are similar in tone.

Here are my exposure settings, F2.8, 1/30 Sec, ISO 100.

I am attaching examples. The filenames show the color temp for each picture. The 4000K is the preferred image and the 5000K is direct off the camera taken with the redeye flash. The subjects skintone is rather fair. The 5000K appears to have a yellow tint to it. Ugh!

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Attached Files:

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I think your photo on the right has a problem with white balance. The NV10 permits you to set the white balance to 5 settings, plus auto and custom. Try playing with the white balance until you get the color that looks right to you.

3. neenee

neenee Well-Known Member

Hm.. on my screen, the 5000k (right image) looks right, while the lady in the 4000k (left image) shot seems to be lit by fluorescent light (bluish white), while the rest of the room is lit by warm, orange light - it's an odd contrast.

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I'm getting the same look as neenee (with the photo on the right looking much more neutral to my eye and maybe just a touch warm). I'm working on a calibrated monitor, for whatever that's worth.

It is interesting that changing the photos from 5000K to 4000K would have the effect (at least as we're seeing it) of making them appear cooler/less yellow. Usually, flash strobes are reasonably close to daylight (5700K) or "hotter"/cooler. (Remember that the color cast more blue/cool as the number goes up - somewhat counterintuitive I know.) What you're most likely seeing is the result of mixed lighting of extremely different temperatures (3200K for incandescent/halogen lights, versus 5700K from your flash) wreaking havoc on your camera's AWB setting. There are ways around this, but you have to get a little creative with a point-and-shoot to employ them, and it may not be something you want to get into anyway.

Questions: does the same thing happen under fluorescent lights, or when taking photos outdoors after dark? Also, have you tried printing the photos to see if the results are the same? I'm wondering if your monitor isn't skewing warm.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.