Odd black spot in some images, not others.

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by Neighborhood Dogs, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neighborhood Dogs

Neighborhood Dogs New Member

I didn't notice this until I was photographing clouds and sunset. Camera is Olympus OM D E M10 micro 4/3rds Sometimes this blank or black spot appears (sometimes it looks like a little triangle). I've checked the lens and interior and there's nothing there to cause a spot. Oddly, using the same lens (17mm f1.8) and same settings, it shows in one image but not in another. I don't see it on the screen or in the view finder and don't know its there until I see the finished image. I switched back to the 14mm lens and the same thing happens; spot is there sometimes but not others under exact same shooting conditions/settings. Any help? I can't figure this out and hope its not serious. No warranty and its only 4 months old.

The images aren't on any sharing site so I'm sorry I can't insert the image here. Thanks for the help.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Is the spot in the same place all the time? If so it's probably a "hot pixel", which is a sensor problem. If not it could be merely a reflection of dust particles, which is very common.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.