Olympus E - 500 LENS REPLACEMENT

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by jamesfr, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesfr

jamesfr New Member

Hi; I;m new here and perhaps you can give me some advice on a lens. I have an Olympus E-500 camera and the 14-45 mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 lens is damaged. I;m not sure what these values mean but am guessing that this is a wide anglw lens. The 40 - 150 lens is fine.

Can you advise on where I can get a replacement lens for the damaged one and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You should be able to use any of the many Olympus or Panasonic 4/3 lenses or micro 4/3 lenses. If you want to save some money, there's the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 G Vario Aspherical MEGA OIS lens that you can pick up for less than $150, a decent lens and a very good buy considering the price. The Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 is probably a better lens, though it's more expensive. You can find them for sale online.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Even though the old E-series SLRs and the new Micro4/3 cameras both have the 4/3 size sensor, the lenses are not compatible. You will have to stick with the original 4/3 lenses, stay away from M4/3.

Kelly Cook

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, I was wrong, Kelly is correct. However you can pick up an adapter which will allow you to use micro 4/3 lenses on a 4/3 camera like the Olympus E-500. Search on Google for "adapter" "micro 4/3 lens" "to 4/3 camera"

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Those adverts, all for the same adapter, are poorly worded. That adapter is really for fitting the old 4/3 SLR lenses to the new Micro4/3 bodies. You cannot fit a M4/3 lens to an old SLR body due to the spacing between the face of the M4/3 lens mount and M4/3 sensor being smaller than the case with a 4/3 SLR lens and body. If you DID manage to somehow put a new M4/3 lens on the old SLR body that lens would be strictly macro, not able to focus out to infinity.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.