Olympus EVolt 500

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by sarosh, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarosh

sarosh New Member

I own an EVolt 500--my first DSLR--and so far I am really happy with it.

My only problem is that when I use the Olympus 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens, it makes the pictures blurry. The autofocus just does not seem to work. Any ideas why this is happening? Do I have to do something else besides stick the zoom lens on the camera to make sure that the camera knows which lens I am using?

Would appreciate some help on this matter. Cheers! :)

2. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

Hmm... No, it would appear you have a defective lens or lens contact. First, let's go step by step in diagnosing your problem. I'm sorry if what I suggest sounds stupid, but it's easier to track down the problem.

1) When you install the lens, you do line up the dots. (I said some of it might be stupid.)

2) Is the lens clean, both back and front.

3) Can you change the aperture?
    If so:
    a)Push Menu, select the Camera 2 Menu, go to AF-Mode and select S-AF-MF. Try again. If not, try twisting the lens ring. Either way, something is probably defective, just more defective if it doesn't focus.
    If not:
    b)Try cleaning the lens contacts. (Those little gold things on the lens) and trying again to change the aperture. If that fails, take a picture, open it up on Olympus Master and see if a lens is detected. If not, your lens is defective.

3. sarosh

sarosh New Member

Many thanks for your thoughtful message. My responses are below.

1) When you install the lens, you do line up the dots. (I said some of it might be stupid.)

Yes I do! :)

2) Is the lens clean, both back and front.

Absoulutely clean. Hold my breath when changing lens. :)

3) Can you change the aperture?

Yes.

If so:
    a)Push Menu, select the Camera 2 Menu, go to AF-Mode and select S-AF-MF. Try again. If not, try twisting the lens ring. Either way, something is probably defective, just more defective if it doesn't focus.

Initially I had the camera on C-AF. Thought may be that was causing trouble, so I switched to S-AF-MF, S-AF and MF. Only on MF do I get the shots to work.

Olympus Master detects the lens--it gives lens info in the photo details.

I have an extended service plan from Circuit City on this. I guess I will just take it back to them. Hopefully they will cover it.

Many thanks!

4. avisitor

You're definitely going to want to do that... It still might be worth checking the contacts, but taking it for service would be much easier. I'm hoping that it's not the camera. You might need to download new firmware to the lens.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  5. avisitor

I just had my 14-50mm lens die on me. It won't focus, nor can I change the aperture. I made a mistake and bought a Best Buy warranty, they're telling me I have to send the body, 14-45mm, and 40-150mm lens. Talk about crazy.

6. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

There may be something in the camera menu (I can't remember exactly) that lets you "reset" the lens. I seem to remember something like that. It may be another thing to try (if you haven't) before you send it in.

Also, if it's still under a year old, you might just be able to use the Olympus warranty and just send back the lens only.

7. avisitor

Reset the lens means for it to go back to infinity on power down.

8. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Ok, well it sounded like the right thing - it's been a while since I've used an Olympus. Good luck with the repair!

9. tracyg

tracyg New Member

this might seem silly or obvious but to focus the 40-150mm lens, you have to be quite a distance from your object. try keeping it on the 40mm setting and shooting at something about 10 metres away. if this doesn't work then i am sorry i can't help!

10. avisitor

I can't remember the exact focusing distance for the 40-150, but I think it's 4.9 ft, roughly 1.5 meters. Also, you can use a "close-up kit" or macro attachment (normally rated between 1 to 4 diopters) to decrease that distance. Anyhow, the issue at hand is the lens not being seen by the camera. I've since replaced the lens with a Sigma 18-50 (though I do miss those 4mm's)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.