Olympus FE-230?

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by jclogston, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclogston

jclogston Member

Hi everyone -

Saw this at bestbuy over the weekend; seems pretty nice but i'm no expert on cameras. I like that it was small and compact and was pretty fast (faster than my canon a420).
    Anyways, has anyone else tried/seen it yet? Opinions? Am i better off waiting for sony's w55 which is the same price as the fe-230?
    The camera will be used for vacations, collection pics, etc... nothing too demanding i guess.

Thanks

Jeff

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

The FE-230 was announced just a couple days ago, so I don't think anyone has had a chance to do any reviews yet. In the past, results from the FE line have been mixed - some models are ok and others are not recommended. They do look nice and they're pretty sturdy.

Also, the W55 was just recently announced as well, so it's the same story about reviews - not to be found yet. Without any other "data", I would pick the Sony over the Olympus. The previous Sony W models were pretty nice (W50, W70...).

Have you looked at the Nikon Coolpix L6, or Canon Powershot A530 (or A540)? They're also very nice cameras in about the same price range.

3. jclogston

jclogston Member

Thanks Ben for the response.

I guess the only requirement i have is that it be small, have the zoom in/out as a rotary knob instead of buttons. Both the fe-230, w55 (along with canon sdxxx) has these features. I wonder what the difference will be between the sony w55 and the w70? (again, w55 not out yet soo....).

Thanks again,

Jeff

4. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

That is a very good question. As far as I can tell, the biggest difference might be that the W55 comes in different colors.

5. jclogston

jclogston Member

Yeah based on the specs the only difference is the color and price.
    Another question, is the canon sd600 worth the extra money?

Thansk again

jeff

6. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Yeah, I think it's definitely worth the money. You can find it at or under $200 online.

7. jclogston

jclogston Member

Thanks Ben - you have been very helpful. I think i should just go with the canon; i have to now decide if i want to buy online or at bestbuy as i have $150 gift card.

Thanks again,

Jeff

8. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

I'm seeing price of $220 something on the bestbuy.com website. Is that different than what they sell it for in-store? You can use gift cards via the web site.

9. jclogston

jclogston Member

Yeah - its like $225 online. In-store i believe its $250,but after shipping costs it might come close to being the same. I might see if i can bargain in-store though not sure if possible at bestbuy.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.