Olympus OM-D E-M1 and Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by SwissGirl91, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwissGirl91

SwissGirl91 New Member

Hi guys,

I need your help with something:
    I have recently purchased a Olympus OM-D E-M1 additional to my Canon 60D. But since that already burned a hole in my pocket and I can't afford an external Olympus Flash I was wondering if there was any way to get my Canon Speedlite 430EX II to work with my Olympus Camera.
    From what I've gathered that Speedlite does not have a built in optical trigger so I can't use the Cameraflash to trigger it. So I guess I could buy an optical flashtrigger for the Speedlite?
    Or can you guys think of another inexpensive way to get those two to work together?
    Would something like this work? ->
    Amazon.com: Godox RM I C1 3-IN-1 Multifunction Wireless Remote Trigger for Speedlite Studio Strobe / Remote Shutter Release: Camera & Photo
    I am pretty new to flash photography in general and would love it if you guys could get me on the right track.

Thanks!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The OM-D E-M1 comes with a bundled flash. Is that not acceptable for what you want to use your camera for?

You should be able to use your Speedlite with a wireless flash trigger, such as a Yonguno. You might also want to check out an inexpensive non-Olympus flash that's compatible with Olympus 4/3 cameras like your OM-D E-M1.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. SwissGirl91

SwissGirl91 New Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply.
    The bundle flash of the Olympus is ok but I previously used my Speedlite with a Beautydish on a tripod which worked great for portraits.
    I purchased the Olympus with the intention of having a smaller camera to take with me on vacation and such but it performs so well that I'm thinking of selling my 60D and just using the EM1 from now on. Therefore it would be nice to not have to replace everything I got for my Canon right away.
    But if there is no easy and rather cheap way to keep on using the Speedlite I might just have to replace that too.

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I use my Yongnuo speelight with my Olympus PEN with a RF trigger set similar to the one in your link. Such trigger sets are available in several brands, including Phottix -

Amazon.com: Phottix Ares Wireless Flash Trigger Set(Transmitter and Receiver): Camera & Photo

Of course these simple triggers only trigger the external flash. To set the flash you have do that at the flash itself, not with the camera (TTL style). As you described, I use my trigger set with off-camera setups, using light stands. I have also tried optical trigger accessories, but they really do NOT work as nicely as a RF trigger. Since you already have a very nice camera and flash, may as well go with a nice RF trigger.

My Canon is the 50D and my PEN is the PL2. My use of these is roughly 50/50. Replacing my Canon mount lenses with M4/3 would be too expensive for me to give up the 50D. In any event the AF for the 50D works a whole lot better than the PL2. Though I have read that the AF for the E-M1 is considerably better than the early M4/3 models like my PL2.

My suggestion is to think hard about the Canon lens catalog before getting rid of the 60D.

Kelly Cook

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  5. SwissGirl91

SwissGirl91 New Member

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for your input!

After careful consideration and some more research I have decided to try the Phottix Strato II flash trigger set (Canon Version).
    According to the following discussion thread that should work well (and is still not too expensive):
    Flash Triggers for OM-D E-M5 - Phottix Strato II: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    It even has a pass-through hotshoe on top of the trigger which might come in handy in the future.

The AF on the E-M1 is absolutely amazing! It is supposed to be one of the fastest ones on the market and from my experience I am inclined to believe it just might be.

I will, thank you. I have however read that there should soon be several additions to the M.Zuiko micro four thirds lens catalog. I do hope that it is true.
    So far there is at least one PRO range lens.
    Also, January isn't great for selling anything anyways. :)

6. andre_carva

andre_carva New Member

Hi, have you bought the Phottix Strato II after all? How is it working with the 430EX? The TTL works fine?

Sorry for all the questions, but I´m about to decide whether I sell the 430EX to get an Olympus flash or spare the money and buy the trigger.

Thanks
    Andre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.