Olympus Stylus 300 vs. 1000, I'll Explain...

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by suplex, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suplex

suplex New Member

A few years back my Father got an Olympus Stylus 300 Camera (3.2mp) for Christmas. Based on the fact that the camera has taken such great pictures, and that now I am ready for a digital camera of my own, I asked...for this Christmas...for the Stylus 1000 (10.0mp).

I'm all excited about it because I have always been highly pleased with the quality that my Dad's 3.2mp can produce, so I am thinking that mine will be 3x as good as his. Well all I have to say is that the Stylus 1000 is almost as good as the Stylus 300, but nowhere near 3x better. I keep thinking that I must be doing something wrong as a 10mp camera should blow you away with outstanding quality, but it has "noise" (graininess or static) in the pictures in a way that my Dad's 3.2mp doesn't.

Some things I wanted to mention (so more experienced forum readers can have better information) is that I went to the Olympus site and noticed that some of their Stylus models are referred to as "Digital" and some are not. After noticing that I checked my Dad's camera and it says: "Olympus Stylus 300 Digital", where mine says: "Olympus Stylus 1000", so I don't know if that could be a difference maker in that of itself.

Something else I noticed (after looking in both manuals) is that in my Dad's camera (3.2mp) for the Image Sensor it reads as follows: 1/2.5 CCD. For my camera (10mp) it reads: 1/1.8 CCD.

Being that 2.5 is larger than 1.8, is that what's making the difference?

Then I went over to CNET.com to check their reviews (I really respect that site) and I saw that they give the Stylus 1000 a review of 6.8 which ranks as Good. I think I should have checked that site first because I am now in favor of returning my Stylus 1000 for the Canon PowerShot SD600 which ranks a 7.8 (Very Good) from CNET.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why my Stylus 1000 doesn't seem to perform as well as my Dad's Stylus 300?

Am I making a good alternate choice with the Canon PowerShot SD600?

Thank you.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

When they try to fit more light sensors onto the same sizer (or smaller) sensor, more noise is produced by the sensor. It's part of the reason why more megapixels is not always better. If you never print larger than an 8x10, then around 6MP is enough. More megapixels simply mean that you can print larger (since there's more data).

The SD600 is a very good camera at a very good price.

3. suplex

suplex New Member

Thank you very much for the information. While I am at it, if my biggest priority is a camera that delivers "noise"-less pictures I have narrowed it down to one other option over the SD600, that being the Fuji FinePix F30.

They look very similar (feature wise) and both seem to do really well with great picture quality. Is there any distinct advantage with one over the other (prices are too close to matter)? The SD600 is clearly more popular, but the reviews I have seen on the F30...for those who know about it...are all great as well.

About the only differences that I know of is the Canon uses SD cards, the Fuji xD, the Canon's ISO goes up to 800, the Fuji 3200, and the Canon has the 1/2.5 CCD, where the Fuji has a 1/1.7 Super CCD HR (assuming it stands for High Resolution).

Will I notice more noise with the Fuji because it has the 1.8 versus the Canon's 2.5 CCD, or does Fuji making theirs a "Super" CCD HR make the difference.

Remember how I said I like the CNET web site too (in addition to this site), well their camera reviews are rated by Editor as well as Users and here is how the two cameras (Canon SD600 and Fuji F30) rate per rank.

Canon = 7.8 (Editors), 8.2 (from 80 Users)
    Fuji = 7.4 (Editors), 9.0 (from 28 Users)

On this site a few people gave the Canon a thumbs down, and nobody gave the Fuji thumbs down.

When it comes down to those two cameras, what is your professional opinion on which is better?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  4. Medic

Medic Active Member

Well I've got an old Fuji that takes good pictures and my friends had an old Canon, and the Canon's pictures were about the same. But I haven't compared them in a while. Also Ben always says he likes Canon's quality the best, but the Fuji has a higher ISO so the choice is really yours, maybe somebody else will have a particular choice, because I really don't have a favorite (although I'd be leaning towards the Canon). Hope I helped.:)

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

The Fujifilm F30 can shoot at higher ISO settings with less noise than its competition. While I like the overall Canon image quality, in general, the Fujifilm low light performance is pretty impressive.

6. onslaught135

onslaught135 Member

Thanks for your advice guys
    I have a Olympus Stylus 300 Digital and it's a very well-built and amazing camera. I believe the reason why it has a "digital" is because at the time (which was 2002 or 2004 when I purchased it... at a premium price *sob*), Olympus wanted to accentuate the "Digital" aspect of the camera rather than mixing it up (it's looks, for instance) with other conventional cameras tha were being sold. As for the Stylus 1000, you've basically explained it yourself; because you got the camera this christmas, which is much more recent than the Stylus 300, I believe that at that point Olympus had defined its digital and non-digital camera product lines very clearly.

Just my intuition, and thanks for the info on the Fuji. Makes me want to take a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.