Olympus XZ-2

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by jimbo160, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Very nice.:)

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

3. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

Geeee. that is some great information. I have been reading on these for the last hour, and I need to say something about myself, rather than my camera, one time. You fellas are extremely knowledgable about these cameras, and an abundant supply of information. I can only say that this is like trying to be a heart surgen, and I am in the 10th grade. I have a very long way to go. One of my biggest problems, at 72 years old, I can read something, and before I finish that article, I can forget what I have read already. I would like to be able to do only a small part of all this, and be able to make to make some really good pictures of my great grandkids. I appreciate you, and hope you do not loose patience with me. Thanks,
    Jimmy

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

And that is roughly my own age, so you are not getting the age pass :D

creaky

5. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

now this morning, I am on the pc, kids are on the couch, I just pick my camera up, turn the dial to auto. I do not check for the settings, just take a picture. what is the best way to do this, and not have to remember to look for this, adjust that, and set these? 15884969028_7de601daf2_b.jpg

put camera on p, set to 1/0, and took a pic.
    15452851043_b98c225e93_b.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Both shots are underexposed. Putting a camera on "P" can be confusing, as some cameras use "P" to label their Portrait scene. Make sure this is the Program mode. Also, "1/0" is confusing. As there is "+ 1.0" and "- 1.0". We don't know which is the case. When the basic Auto shot, or Program shot with EC at "0", is underexposed, then it is "+ 1.0" that is needed. "- 1.0" means "1 stop less exposure", so "- 1.0" makes the shot even darker.

The only way to not fuss with camera settings, in this case, is to get the window out of the frame (or shoot at night instead of during the day). The extra light pouring in from the window is what is throwing the camera's Auto Exposure settings off. So long as that extra light is messing up the shot, EC settings will be needed to correct the exposure.

Kelly

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  7. Andy Stanton

Or shoot with the flash on.

8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Erm, the flash did fire in the first shot, but did not for the 2nd shot.

9. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

15892972370_20e8643420_b.jpg
    this is confusing to me. All I know is that is "P". should I use one mode for inside the house, and another for outside? each mode that is there, when I press menue, the same screen comes up. if I change any setting in auto, go to P, and change a setting, or any of the modes, does each mode retain the setting at the time, or does the change made over ride the other? Should I pick one mode, and shoot all my pictures in that mode, and as time goes on, to learn more about the other? should I even shoot a video in a particular mode? I ask that because, I went to SCN mode, and used the action freeze in that mode, to take some pics of the kids with there xbox Kinect. they turned out ok, but, when I pressed the video button, to take a video from that same mode, the video needs editing, for it is to dark. did it pick up a setting from that mode, or, should I have gone to another mode to take a video?

10. Andy Stanton

This is what I would do. Use auto most of the time. If your auto results are too dark switch to P and shoot with increased exposure compensation. If you're getting blur switch to shutter priority and increase shutter speed to 1/200 or 1/400. Your settings should remain even if you switch back to auto. Shoot video in standard mode and it will work out 90% of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.