Olympus XZ-2

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by jimbo160, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

That "P" on the camera mode wheel is, in fact, the Program mode. The Portrait scenes (there may be more that one) are accessed via the SCN mode.

Program mode can be used both inside and outside. My own Olympus is the E-PL2 model (Micro4/3) which may be slightly different from yours. For outdoors my practice is to use mostly the "LANDSCAPE+PORTRAIT" SCN setting. Indoors is where I take over more control by using the Program mode instead of any Scene. You should not need flash much outdoors. For the indoors flash may or may not be a good idea. My PL2 does not try to make this choice for me (My Canon does in its Auto mode). But the Program mode will work either with or without flash.

Auto mode and the SCN choices ignore your more detailed camera settings like EC. Which is why you need to switch to Program mode when EC is needed. Any time you return to Program mode from Auto or a SCN the prior settings you used in the Program mode should still be in effect.

Video I'm not sure about. Olympus has a rather elaborate video mode, I just cop out and hit the Video button. But I shoot very little video.

With my PL2 I never use Auto because I found the colors under Auto to be too loud. The LANDSCPE+PORTRAIT scene tones the colors down nicely (at least more like the nice colors I am accustomed to from my Canon). I can tweak the final colors to my liking later with the Viewer2 photo editor.

Kelly

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

I thank you for all the info both of you are sharing with me. Based on the help you have given me, I have a couple of days to practice this, and hopefully be ready for some Christmas pics.

later post....I took the comments above, and printed it for me to refer to.I can play with the EV some, but not real good. I do not know what the little F thing is at the bottom. F1.0, F2.0, etc.. could you give me something in writing about that setting, and the modes? I can relate to your words better than most of the PDF for Olympus.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about your "F1.0" label. "F" is normally the f-stop ratio, but the widest the lens on the XZ-2 will go is F1.8, you should never see this as "F1.0". In the Auto mode, various SCN settings, and Program mode this F-stop is set for you by the camera's Auto Exposure programming (aka AE). So in any of those modes you should not be concerned with the F-stop, you can simply ignore it. In the camera modes Aperture priority and Manual you set the F-stop yourself. I do not suggest getting into those modes until after you have a fair understanding of the Program mode. Links for more about F-stops and aperture -

FPT: How to Create Depth of Field

Photography Basics: Aperture - Digital Photo Secrets

ShortCourses-The Aperture Controls Light and Depth Of Field

Photography Tutorial - A Lesson on Apertures | iHeartFaces.com

Kelly

4. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

Thanks for being there, for both of you. Will not bother you today, only to wish both of you a very merry Christmas.

5. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

The holidays were great. Took a lot of pictures, and was satisfied some. I do think the pictures could have been better, and I will ask what I could have done, to make it better. Most all the pictures were taken in the auto mode, and the SCN sports. I seem to enjoy the sports mod as it would allow a little movement. If you can tell me things to try, from the pick, it will let me work on it. The videos I took were somewhat darker than I liked, and did not see an adjustment to make it stay brite. The only thing shooting video in auto mode was the slde from the side, but it was either dark, or to light. Thanks a lot,
    Jimmy 15935357570_45f642f49e_b.jpg

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Color looks good, lighting looks good, but the picture isn't sharp. Either focus was off or the shutter speed was too slow (probably the latter). Was the camera set to auto?

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

It looks like the flash didn't fire.

8. jimbo160

jimbo160 Active Member

Do not know if flash fired for that pic or not. I did notice sometimes it would not fire, and it was on. I just kept on going. I have a lot of pics now, and wanting to put on a dvd to save them. There are some I have gone in and tried to get adjusted. I use Arcsoft photo suite 6. Some of them looks better. Do you recommend using an external program that can auto fix photos really good? I just try to tune them to look more crisp and clear. I also resize my pics with Faststone resizer, to take up less space on a dvd, and notice I can change pics from jpeg to another format. Do you think the pic could improve with a different format other than jpeg? Which do you use? Cold rainy day here, so, will be inside all day.

9. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The flash may not fire if there has not been enough time from the prior flash shot for the flash to recharge. There may be an Icon on the LCD that shows the status of the flash charge. Check your camera's book.

There are lots of photo editors, all of them have an "auto" button somewhere. But none of these are 100% successful. You will still need to make adjustments by eye.

Stick with the JPG format for now. I use RAW more, but that requires more complicated post processing than JPG.

Kelly

10. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you keep your camera on auto mode your results should be good 90% of the time.
    Unless you need a picture for a particular purpose (like putting it in a card or a letter), I wouldn't bother post processing. Just make sure you take lots of pictures of the same thing so you have several to choose from and you can select the best one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.