Panasonic FX35 vs. Canon SD790IS

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by gino_lee, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gino_lee

gino_lee Member

I am having problems deciding on which camera I should get, the FX35 or SD790.

My brother is getting it for me and currently has both and has emailed me sample pictures from both.

I really like that the FX35 is wide angle, however it seems I need to zoom in more on the playback picture to make things bigger. One of the drawbacks of the wide angle, everything is smaller.

But the biggest problem for me is that it seems the FX35 is far inferior in picture quality compared to the SD790 from the sample shot I got. the FX35 seems to have a lot more noise when I magnify even to 35-40% as compared to the SD790. I was guessing that my brother may have not turned on the ISO limiting option on the FX35 and the camera chose an ISO that was too high.

But apples to apples, he took pictures on full auto mode with both cameras. I was shocked to see the difference, especially after the glowing review the FX35 got from DCR.

For example check out the Buddhist statue at the very far left, or the feathers near it. the SD790 does a good job, while the FX35 is very fuzzy. Is this normal?

Can anybody that has used either one (or both) comment?

I was really considering jumping to Panasonic after having 2 canon cameras (SD400, A700) because the Panasonic has so many options (wide angle, 720p video). but now I may be thinking again.
    I'm looking at these two because they are on sale! :p

Here are links to the files.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/178511465/canon_sd790.jpg.html
    http://rapidshare.com/files/178511637/panasonic_dmcfx35.jpg.html

TIA.
    Gino

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Hi Gino -
    I can't get the download on the FX35 file to work; I'll try again when I get home this evening. Until then, I can't compare both and give you any feedback on this specific scenario.

Looking at the Canon shot, though, I would say that you're suspicion about the ISO boost issue is probably correct. The FX35 is definitely not a great camera indoors. Beyond this, I'll have to wait for the shots to comment further.

dr

3. gino_lee

gino_lee Member

ah thanks, I'm going to ask for outside shots for comparison.

And then I will make sure he tries limiting the ISO on the FX35 to see if that changes anything indoors.

Let me know if you have problems downloading the files. I'll try to fix.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

That download page is a bit tricky, but I was able to get both images. Unfortunately I was not able to capture the EXIF data. However, I think I know what happened. The Canon had a stronger flash. This allowed the Canon lens to stop down, not wide open aperture. The weaker flash for the Panasonic caused its programming to set the lens aperture wide open. Resulting in comatic aberration (very common in extreme wide angle lenses) and a generally soft appearance.

Next time make two changes - 1) turn the flash for both cameras OFF. 2) Zoom the Panasonic lens so that its field width matches that of the Canon.

If flash is important to you, then the Canon has a serious advantage here.

Kelly Cook

5. gino_lee

gino_lee Member

I have used Canons before and my impression sometimes is that the flash is TOO strong, and makes peoples faces too bright/white.

I also found that sometimes when I wanted to take a picture, I got better details without using flash, and then I could use a photofix software to make things look a little brighter.

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The SD790 flash is not extra hot, it's the weak Panny flash that is making the difference here. Flash off, at high ISO, there isn't a big difference in IQ for these. You may want to turn your attention to control layout and features.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.