Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 zoom stopped working, no response to buttons

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Thistlefur, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Thistlefur

Thistlefur New Member

I am a happy owner of a Lumix FZ70 that I last use frequently, most recently about ten days ago. On Friday, I turned on my camera to use it and found that although it still shoots photos, it does not zoom AT ALL, nor do any of the buttons on the back or top work, such as review, menu, burst, display, delete, etc. The only way to change the shooting mode is to turn the camera off, set the dial to the desired setting, and turn the camera on. It will register the correct mode when turning on, but it can't be changed with the dial once it is on. The flash and flash button work. The displays all read correctly, minus the missing zoom indicator.

To my knowledge, it wasn't mishandled or exposed to any elements, so I'm puzzled what happened. I have removed and reinserted the battery, which is fully charged.

I called Panasonic, who said to send it to their service repair center. As I have owned this camera for about two years, it is no longer under warranty. The estimated repair cost is $287--more than the cost of a new camera of the same model!

Has anyone else had this problem? Suggestions on next steps?
    If I *do* have to replace the camera (which seems a waste when all other components have been working fine), do you have suggestions? Do I replace it with the same model? I need to stay in this general price range. Has Panasonic made a worthwhile upgrade since the FZ70?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. vlc

vlc New Member

hi
    i have faced the same problem with my panasonic dmc fz 70 since last week, all the buttons dead how did you managed with yours. need help.