Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Jerry Jackson, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator News/Review Writer

We’ve seen something of a renaissance in advanced compact digital cameras over the last year. These cameras are reasonably compact and are much easier to carry than a DSLR with interchangeable lenses. However, as the prices for DSLRs continued to drop, the "prosumer" compact category started to vanish. Thankfully, serious photographers who demand a full-featured compact have more options today. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 is Panasonic’s latest entry in the advanced compact category, and it packs some impressive features that grabbed our attention.

[​IMG]

Read the full content of this Article: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. f4ding

f4ding Active Member

Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Review

This camera should be competing against G10 right?

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Correct. Also directly against the Nikon Coolpix P6000.

dr

4. bchalifour

bchalifour New Member

Since my previous post (on a different thread but also concerning the LX3), I decided to take the plunge and get the new LX3.
    I have no regrets. It gives me the same pleasures as and more possibilities than the LX2 that I have really enjoyed.
    The 24 mm possibility is a definite plus (and almost no vignetting as in "Leica" lens I guess. By the way, more than any other camera if the LX3 has to remind one of a previous model, especially in its black version, it is the Leica M series of course; even Canon with its G series had understood the potential of the shape and color ;o) ).
    The LX3's maximum aperture is a plus, definitely on paper but I cannot say I use it much except that it can provide some useful shallow depth of field, especially at 60 mm.
    In terms of image quality, I have a 16"x29" enlargement of a shot that I took in Paris in November 2007 with my LX2 that is superior in quality to much of what I have seen taken with a 35 mm camera. The LX3 is slightly better than that.
    In terms of noise, it is definitely not a revolution but I recognize Panasonic/Leica's wisdom consisting in not trying to cram 14 Mp into a sensor of that size (which Canon did). The LX3 does slightly better than the LX2, more than slightly as the LX2 was rather frustrating in that regard. There is still room for improvement.
    Of course the Canon G10 and the Nikon Coolpix 6000 are direct competitors but at 400 iso and 800 iso their images are worse. The Nikon has still more lag-time (always a problem on Nikon P&S and even I have owned every high-end Nikon SLR since the Nikon F2, I have had a problem with this on their digital P&Ss) than the two others. I had a G5 and Canon really disappointed me with the G7 when they gave up the swiveling LCD screen and raw format (that last one was definitely a stupid decision that made me consider and buy the LX1 then 2 and now 3–I resold my LX1 and dropped my LX2 into a pond; it was not a suicide just awkwardness and trying to photograph while undergoing the flue).
    The only improvements I could see for the LX3 are again regarding noise, the fact that its size has increased, compared to the LX1 and LX2, not much but to the point that it necessitated a new carrying case, that it does not fit as easily into the pockets of my coats, and that Panasonic include a shoulder strap with the camera.
    12 or 14 Mp would be nice but I'd rather see good behavior in low light and high iso. Both would probably require a bigger sensor and a bigger camera. Hmmmm!
    Best,
    bchalifour

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks for your personal review, bchalifour. It was very interesting and is further evidence of the overall high quality of the Panasonic LX3.

6. Lndscpe

Lndscpe New Member

Someone need to learn math. A 1/1.63" image sensor is bigger than the 1/1.8" sensor in the C-5050.

7. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't recall the review saying that the LX3's sensor was smaller than that of the C-5050.

8. ryanal

ryanal New Member

A little late in the game, but the reviewer of the LX3 writes:

I don't think the LX3 has this feature.

9. Joelw

Joelw New Member

I love my LX3. Does it perform as well as the D90 I own, no, but the camera that takes the best pictures is the one you bring with you, and that is usually my compact LX3.

Something I discovered today, Panasonic has posted about 10 firmware updates since I bought my camera. Normally I pay little attention to firmware updates unless I am experiencing a glitch as that is all I am used to updates addressing.

NOT SO with Panasonic! The updates since version 1.1 add whole new modes and features to the DMC-LX3.

Check it out at Panasonic's web site

Ver 1.2
    1. Improved white balance flash mode setting when DMW-FL220 is connected.
    2. Proper setting of shutter speed on iA mode and Scene mode when OIS is turned ON.
    3. Proper Exif information in the JPEG picture file. 2008/12/15

Ver 1.3
    1. Improved auto white balance performance.
    2. Improved auto white balance performance in sunset mode.
    3. Improved recovery operation from unremoved lens cap.
    4. Improved operation of MF ASSIST/AF area selection.
    5. Improved display of Manual Exposure Assistance.

Ver 2.0
    1. Improved auto white balance performance.
    2. Auto Focus speed-up.
    3. Recording function with an aspect ratio of 1:1 has been added.
    4. A white balance (WB) bracket function has been added.
    5. [HIGH DYNAMIC] has been added to scene mode.
    6. [LENS RESUME] has been added to the [SETUP] menu.
    7. [MENU RESUME] has been added to the [SETUP] menu.
    8. The exposure compensation and the auto bracket compensation can now be set up to ±3EV.
    9. Position of the guide line can now be set.
    10. It is now possible to display the highlights in playback mode.
    11. It is now possible to record the user’s name in the picture.
    12. Digital red-eye removal has been modified.
    13. Items saved in the custom set have changed.

Ver 2.1
    1. Correction of custom mode.

Ver 2.2
    1. Optimization of software processing. The change in software version has no effect on camera performance.

Thats quite a list, all for free on a 2 year old product!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.