Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by FZ20, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FZ20

FZ20 Active Member

This is a brand newie from panasonic.
    Looks good as well for a lower end compact camera.

Its 10x optical zoom and has the Linear AF system, the first Lumix to use that technology :D

2. Tim

Tim Member

what is a linear AF system?
    SOmething to do with autofocus I assume.. whats linear mean though?

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

After doing some searches around, I can't actually find a definitive explanation of linear AF. Some folks think it may have to do with the motor that drives the lens to focus. Others think it has something to do with the AF sensor.

4. FZ20

FZ20 Active Member

Yes I cant find any further info on that either. Perhaps its a buzz word that Panasonic has invented?

5. daacon

daacon Member

I thought is had to do with the way the camera hadles light - Kind of sideways which allows the big time zoom without a huge lens protruding?

Anyway I purhased this camera after months of beating myself up over a Super Zoom / SLR / Compact. I orgianlly wanted the DMC-FZ30. After playing with it for 20 minutes or so , I found the size too big and if I was going to go that big might as well buy an SLR.

Things important to me were Zoom / Lens quickness / Video and this camera so far in my limited use has not dissapointed. It is small enough to fit in a Jacket pocket (not quite small enough for a shirt or pants). The focus is fast the zoom is good, I have a few golfing shots where the action is prefectly frozen. The club is in focus with the swing and you can see the golf ball on its way.

The video mode is impressive. THe zoom works with video a real added bonus. If you are using the zoom with video the focus has a few issues , but once it locks on it is great.

So far no regrets with the 30 or so pictures I have taken a couple of videos. I did buy a 2gb card and have a 1gb for spare. Lithium battery requires you to buy a spare so as not to left without a charge. The 2 minute video I took was about 200mb in size.

There a few articles where you need to take it off Auto ISO - some of the pictures I took on Auto indoors did not trun out very well. The outside ones in good sunlight were perfect with ISO of 50 I think ?

My brief $0.02...........dy

6. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. With the ISO on Auto indoors, it's probably shooting at ISO 100 or 200. If you can, try to force it to ISO 50 (or whatever is the lowest setting) and see if things are better.

7. jtom

jtom Active Member

I thought I should tell you guys that the TZ model is at walmart. lol. Its on display so any potential buyers should go and look at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.