Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidc

davidc New Member

Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 Review

And if it's like the TZ3, for some unknown reason the image will be scaled back to only 3mp! What's up with that Panasonic?

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I hadn't heard about this issue. So the camera resizes the image without warning when you apply a date stamp?

dr

3. broberts20

broberts20 New Member

I recently bought the camera and have a question about the default menu settings for videos / Motion Picture mode. My wife was playing around a little and I wanted to make sure she didn't change any of the Motion Picture settings:

When I switch to Motion Picture mode, the following settings are active:

AF Macro Recording
    Optical Image Stabilizer
    Multiple Metering Mode
    C.AF (Continuous AF)
    Microphone

I am specifically asking about C.AF, since it doesn't appear in the sample screenshot on the Motion Picture page in the manual. Is this the default setting for videos?

Thanks.

Brian

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Hi Brian,
    I believe it is. I'm pretty sure that if you disable C.AF, the TZ4 will do what many compact cameras do and lock focus at the start of filming during video shooting, but not adjust as the scene changes. With C.AF enabled, the device functions much more like a true camcorder, with dynamic AF.

That's my memory of how it works, anyway.

Hope this helps,

dr

5. rayaz

rayaz New Member

Panasonic has a firmware upgrade for the TZ4 to fix the autofocus lag issue. I noticed that its much faster after the upgrade, though the "quality" seems of the shots seems a bit patchy :(

One of the annoying things over the TZ3 which i find in the TZ4 (and believe the TZ5 has the same) is that you don't have a quick menu option to change from wide to standard mode. You have to go to the menu to select this, which is very annoying as you sometimes need to switch between modes, and you cannot do it on the fly.

The video quality is decent but no match in quality even compared to a low level camcorder. The videos tend to be darker than the actual light conditions which you are recording, and in bright light there is severe loss in detail.

Overall though the camera has proved to be a very solid buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.