Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Questions and Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by v0ltr0nn, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. v0ltr0nn

v0ltr0nn Member

I didnt see a thread regarding the Panasonic DMC-ZR1 so I figured I would start one. In addition I have a question for anyone that has used this camera.

In all the reviews I have read they have mentioned how this camera is able to optical zoom while shooting HD video. This was my main attraction to this camera. I recieved shipment of this camera yesterday and I cannot find a way to zoom more then 3x while shooting video. Also the zoom appears to be digital not optical. Does anyone know if I just have my settings wrong or what is going on?

Thanks!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. v0ltr0nn

v0ltr0nn Member

I agree I should be able to but I cant, so it makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong or the firmware on the device is hosed, as the 8x zoom works fine in every other mode. I have looked at demo videos on youtube and it appears others have a full 8x zoom during video. I have a question into Panasonic support so waiting to see what they have to say. I would still be interested in hearing from someone that does own this camera or has played around with it.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. ken222

ken222 New Member

Hi,

I just tried my ZR1 in HD and other video modes and had no prolem to get 8X zoom.

5. Horatio

Horatio Member

Hoping to open this thread again for the now obselete ZR1. Can get kinda lonely when you don't have the latest model on the forums.

I purchased one of the last I guess, being a Panasonic approved refurb.( looked like brand new stock they were offloading to me). Got it because my otherwise faultless Casio had such a crap lens ( like the last two Casios I had).

ZR1 lens is in another ball park for such a compact and budget priced camera.

Biggest down side is the battery life. I used to leave the charger at home and take the Casio on holiday for a week taking stills and videos with still battery to spare. The ZRI is lucky to last for a short walk but a second battery from Panasonic cost half the price I paid for the camera but there are now very cheap batteries that do actually work but take care what you buy.

At last I can take a decent landscape and a reasonably crisp zoom and I would not part with this little baby. Would be easy to grumble about ease of operation in general compared with the old Casio but I am keeping the Casio for photography in risky physical conditions and for taking 30 minute or longer continuous videos for vintage sports car runs. ZR1 seems to only manage 8 minute shots.

Does anyone know if baby foam thimbles are available to cover the mic pin hole so that sound can be recorded outdoors where there is almost always some wind?

Does anyone out there still have an ZR1 ??

6. Horatio

Horatio Member

To answer some of my own questions. The small print says that the battery should always be removed when not in use otherwise there is a slight current drain.

There is a way to brighten the screen when in sunlight but instructions warn this hammers the battery !

Is there a way to turn the screen off especially when connected to the PC??

7. optifever1

optifever1 New Member

I'm hoping that someone could help me here, I'v had ZR1 for a few months now and I'm not having much joy with the users manual (pdf and hard copy) in relation to slowing the shutter speed down for an effect with water that I'm trying to achieve.
    I'v set the ISO to 80 and thats as far as I can go...... It's obvious to me that I have problems with instruction manuals so could anyone shed some light on this for me?

8. Horatio

Horatio Member

Hi Optifever.

There seem to be various PDF manuals. The best is the manual "for advanced features" ref VQT2F52-1. On page 102 it refers to a "MIN SHTR SPEED" setting enabling slower speeds of 1 sec, 1/2 sec,1/4 sec, 1/8 sec, 1/16 esc, 1/30 sec & 1/125 sec. I have not yet understood exactly how you achive this because, like you, I have not had the camera very long and find the controls not exactly user friendly.

You did not mention what speed you wanted. I have done quite a lot of fast running streams and waterfalls in daylight and always found 1/250th best for that sort of work ( using the old mechanical cameras). Gives the sense of movement without it becoming a blur.

With the ZR1 even slower times are available on the stars setting but I would not think you would want anything that slow.

I am interested to hear how you get on.

9. optifever1

optifever1 New Member

Rite! I went to p102 on the "Advanced user settings" and for some reason it all made sense, I played around with it and managed to manipulate the shutter speed accordingly.
    I was looking at a fellows work who used 1/25 sec and the results were quite beautiful but I'll play around with whats on offer from this camera.
    Thanks for you prompt in the rite direction, what a ripper of a little camera! I'v had so much fun with this thing I cant tell you, this thing has really opened up a new world for me and the learning curve has been very enjoyable!
    Cheers ;)

10. Horatio

Horatio Member

I am very pleased that this has been of help. Yes, everything seems to be in the little package, it is just finding it that is difficult.

The biggest curse is the battery. Not only the very short life but also that instructions say it has to be removed when the camera is not in use, because there is a small current drain. So when the wife says there is a rare bird in the garden, by the time I have found and inserted the battery, the shot has gone. Anyway the second battery which I purchased at £11 from Amazon is every bit as good as the Panasonic one so I will always carry a spare with me.

I live almost two miles from the sea and we cannot see the sea from here, so I was very surprised yesterday to look across the fields and see the gantry of an enormous sea going vessel designed for installing wind generators. I grabbed the Lumix and put it on full telephoto, hand held in a force 8 gale and managed to get a shot good enough to read 90% of the name on the superstructure. Now I could not have done that with my old Casio. That ship must have been at least 3 miles away + handshake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.