Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 Questions and Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by v0ltr0nn, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mccririck

mccririck New Member

Just got one of these, really nice camera but having a bit of trouble as I am taking quite a few blurred photos. I've increased the max ISO from 400 to 800 hopefully that helps, also need to try to hold it steadier, it's just a pity it doesnt have a viewfinder as I think that would help.

Is the latest firmware still 1.0 for this camera?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Try prefocusing - hold down the shutter button halfway and the camera will focus on your subject - you'll see the green focus points. Then take your shot. Your photos will be more consistently in focus than when you press the shutter without prefocusing.

3. Luey

Luey New Member

Hi, all, I've really enjoyed using this little camera that my daughter bought me for Christmas. I have the Vancouver Olympics model.

I'm having trouble with a zoom failure and shutdown on my camera, and am looking to update the firmware, if necessary. I've already had it sent away for a zoom issue and don't know if the warranty will allow another fixup after all this time.

Anybody's thoughts on the matter?

Also, I'm not sure if I started a new thread or not - not used to this format.

4. Horatio

Horatio Member

Hi Luey, you have successfully added onto this thread for the ZR1. It sounds as though you have been unlucky. Mine is still going well after quite a lot of work, touch wood.

I can only say that battery life is rather short so I bought a spare but both my batteries have improved with use.

I had a lot of trouble with my zoom but it was no fault of the camera but just that zoom operation is not very logical. I can only seem to get full zoom in the "intelligent auto" mode. The zoom seems limited in the normal, scenery or sports modes but I have probably overlooked something.

Always be very careful to protect this type of camera from dust and grit that might jam your zoom. Even the Lumix case is far from dust proof. I always pop mine in a poly bag when in my pocket but take the bag off for storage in case of condensation.

Updating firmware might be a disaster if it goes wrong so I would only do that as a last resort, or ask the agent to do it for you.

At the price these cameras are now ( if you can find one) it is probably as cheap to get another than to get it serviced out of guarantee. Certainly that is the case with mine, which was only twice the price of the Panasonic battery it uses!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. victory12

victory12 New Member

I'm hoping that someone could help me here, I'v had ZR1 for a few months now and I'm not having much joy with the users manual (pdf and hard copy) in relation to slowing the shutter speed down for an effect with water that I'm trying to achieve.
    I'v set the ISO to 80 and thats as far as I can go...... It's obvious to me that I have problems with instruction manuals so could anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2011
  6. Horatio

Horatio Member

This may be worth a try ?

Turn knob on top of camera to MS.

Press centre navigation button then scroll up to SCN (my scene mode) and press centre button again.

Now scroll to sports mode and select that with the centre button.

This should give you a fast shutter speed, worth trying for your water. It may also open up the camera to further adjustment ( not sure).

N.B. it will only remain set like this when you have the top knob set to MS, which will retain that setting after switch off.

Good Luck

7. Adafuni

Adafuni New Member

8. Horatio

Horatio Member

On video mine zooms to 8X.

This is not for videos but when taking stills please note that the amount of zoom is restricted in certain positions of the top mode knob. e.g. Try the iA ( Intelligent Auto ) mode and you should get the full zoom range + electronic zoom by pressing the small ezoom button.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  9. ashley304

ashley304 New Member

I have had this camera for about 2 years. My SD cards are starting to go bad. Some of pictures are beginning to be blurry. It used to take really good pictures. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

10. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Have you tried replacing your SD card?

What types of pictures are blurry? Low light shots? Shots at the long end of the zoom? Close macro shots?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.